Honored Contributor

Re: Serial returners are a big part of the problem

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
I agree with faeriemoon, people buying 50 sizes & colors to see what they like & returning the rest is absurdly ridiculous in my opinion. Go to the store!

I think people would be VERY surprised at the percentage of returns that do end up in landfills. Again, brand new unopened items or new with tags clothing. It's staggering!! Last seasons clothing? Dumpster! Christmas items returned after Christmas when they need shelf room for Spring? Dumpster!

Yes shipping costs sure are "eye opening" if you're used to "free" shipping ". Trust me, SOMEONE is covering that shipping cost somewhere. Including returns. UPS,USPS, FedEx, etc aren't doing their job for free!!! Thats a joke! If you're a multi million or billion dollar company you can afford to absorb those costs because you're still pulling in huge profits.

If you're a tiny small time or part time ebay seller or other online site, you can't afford to subsidize your customers. I make my customers pay RETAIL shipping rates & I'll sometimes get pushback from those expecting me to ship for free or thinking it doesn't cost that much. YES an item that only weighs a few ounces is $4.50. A purse, sweater or medium size object? Could be $7-18! Or more! And NO I don't accept returns with what I sell! It's in print multiple places in my listings. It's not worth the headache I know will come from people like that.

@sometimesQVCaddict 

ITA with everything you said but am curious ....  what is your source for tons of returned clothing ending up in landfills?  

I don't know a lot about any retailer's procedures for handling returns ... BUT .... if something isn't being resold (such as holiday or seasonal clothing, etc) wouldn't it make more sense to DONATE the clothing to charities and take a tax write off?   

Honored Contributor

Watching Hoarders today. The daughter said her Mom would go crazy shopping when she got her child support check. Then when Mom needed money weeks later, her Mom would run around like crazy trying to find what she bought and the receipts so she could return the items. After the stuff was used.

Respected Contributor

I rarely return anything.  If I return clothing, it's because it doesn't fit and/or looks horrible on me.  I've kept clothing items (especially from QVC) that I was on the fence about and never worn and it sits in my closet because I just didn't want to pay the return postage and go to the post office.  I did just return an Attitudes by Renee top that I've been looking at since last season.  Now on clearance so I gave it a try.  Not a good look for me.  I have in the past ordered 2 different sizes of one item to see what fits better (not often) but only because if you need the size you didn't buy, it's gone.  I'm thinking about getting a jumpsuit, I don't know what size to get.  I'm one size on top, a different on the bottom and may or may not need petite.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thats why I quit buying clothes and shoes from QVC!  The sizing is all over the place.  It used to be reliable.   I quit when I had to return a pair of clarks shoes I wanted so badly 3 times.   I wear a 9m in clarks at nordie.   QVC, 9 was huge, 8.5 too big...8 was slightly tight.  Cost a fortune.  No more shoes.  The clothing isn't even consistant within the same brand   What does the factory do, just cut clothing as they go along?