Honored Contributor

Re: Serial returners are a big part of the problem

I'll return what I want to return. I cannot afford to keep something that doesn't meet my needs, fit right, or is lousy quality. I don't shop for sport, can't afford to. I've never been banned or received a letter about it so it isn't excessive.

Respected Contributor

My take on all this is that I prefer to buy clothes and shoes in person because I not only see the fit on me but how the outfit looks on me.  While things might fit me ok, it just might not look so good on me after all.  

Another reason would be that I would be afraid that I might get someone else's return.  And since QVC is so lenient with their return policy, I literally "don't know where that outfit might have been.". LOL

And yes, while other places allow returns, a lot have the policy that they must still be in new condition and with tags still attached.  At least if people are trying on the outfit in the store's dressing room and don't purchase it, you know it was only tried on for a few minutes as opposed to someone who has the purchase at home for any length of time.  And I realize that several people might have tried it on, yet still only for a few minutes.  Not like they ate while wearing it or worked up a sweat in it or anything else.  But then again, if the item looks like it has seen better days, I would not purchase it from the get go.  👗👚👢👠

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered a lot from QVC in 2021.  I only returned a few items.  The items I returned included a makeup foundation that was the wrong shade, a clothing item that didn't fit and a few others. 

Considering how much I purchased, my return ratio was extremely low.

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
I'm not shaming anyone personally, but it's my opinion it's wasteful to constantly return items. Obviously if someone has no shame or guilt in returning things, that's your prerogative.

My prerogative is the opinion that I see no point in creating so much waste (even new with tags never opened items end up in landfills because it costs too much to process returns for some stores). And I don't buy on a regular basis items I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping. Nor am I that impulsive to buy things a '"TV host stranger" tells me i need to buy RIGHT NOW before it sells out!

As far as clothing, I stand behind my comments that if sizing is THAT finicky for you, shop where you can try things on. If you can't drive, I guarantee there's someone who can drive you if you needed to. Again, my opinion and I also guarantee there are those that will disagree with this.

For those "loud & proud" about returning 8 bazillion things, please don't come back & complain when you get banned from stores or websites for excessive returns!

@sometimesQVCaddict 

Sorry, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to know 100% if something will work out before the item arrives.  I have returned a few "sure things" because it just wasn't what it was presented to be.  

I wasn't "creating waste" .... I was returning something that didn't work out as expected.  

As for "guilt and shame" ....  seriously?   QVC constantly mentions a 30 day return at least eighty six times a day.  If someone feels "guilt and shame" for returning something that isn't right, they need to see a therapist.  

BTW ....  your comment above that you "guarantee" someone can be driven .... what the heck are you talking about?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict   Inflation is the main cause of prices going up everywhere. Returns go back into merchandise to be sold again.

@Katcat1 

ITA ... not everything automatically goes into a landfill and is a "total waste".   

Part of the current problem with prices rising is SHIPPING has jumped considerably  ....  I recently sold a little doo-dad on Ebay, free shipping.  and a 4 ounce envelope to ship it First class mail cost me almost four dollars!   Yikes!

Respected Contributor

Ordering clothing online is really difficult.  I thought I had found consistent sizing in Denim & Co. and then I ordered a blouse in that size that did not fit.  I think if hosts would try everything in their show on and then say if it runs true to size, small in the hips etc. it would help.  I hate the hassle of returning things but I think that is the nature of online ordering.  You cannot try it on, feel it or see the colors correctly so returns are inevitable.  I would never order anything online in clothing if I knew I could not return it.  I thought that that was figured in with the pricing.  They sell tons of one item and have no stores to maintain.  If returns are sent back after just trying it on, I would think they could resell just like they do in stores. They give the big speel about nothing to lose, 30 days to wear it and use it and see how you like it and if you don't  love it return it...

Respected Contributor

Yes many lines have inconsistent sizing.  That's why I always check the click here measurements (they can vary by 2 to three inches for what would seem to be identical items in the same line).  When I do this, I find that even though I might have to buy a different size - say in pants - I can be relatively assured of a proper fit.

For those insisting that items can be resold - well that would depend on the condition they are in when they are returned (if clothing for example).   And clearly, cosmetics cannot be resold - something to consider for those constantly complaining about the high cost of skin care.

Honored Contributor

No one is saying not to return an item that doesn't fit or that you don't want.  I think what most of us are saying is that it is bad for all involved when a person buys a shirt (for example) in three different sizes and four different colors and returns eleven of those twelve shirts.

And YES, there are people who do that!!

Valued Contributor

I agree with faeriemoon, people buying 50 sizes & colors to see what they like & returning the rest is absurdly ridiculous in my opinion. Go to the store!

I think people would be VERY surprised at the percentage of returns that do end up in landfills. Again, brand new unopened items or new with tags clothing. It's staggering!! Last seasons clothing? Dumpster! Christmas items returned after Christmas when they need shelf room for Spring? Dumpster!

Yes shipping costs sure are "eye opening" if you're used to "free" shipping ". Trust me, SOMEONE is covering that shipping cost somewhere. Including returns. UPS,USPS, FedEx, etc aren't doing their job for free!!! Thats a joke! If you're a multi million or billion dollar company you can afford to absorb those costs because you're still pulling in huge profits.

If you're a tiny small time or part time ebay seller or other online site, you can't afford to subsidize your customers. I make my customers pay RETAIL shipping rates & I'll sometimes get pushback from those expecting me to ship for free or thinking it doesn't cost that much. YES an item that only weighs a few ounces is $4.50. A purse, sweater or medium size object? Could be $7-18! Or more! And NO I don't accept returns with what I sell! It's in print multiple places in my listings. It's not worth the headache I know will come from people like that.
Regular Contributor

Well, buying clothes from a tv show can be tricky sometimes. You have to rely on their size guides and more than once I've had to return clothing that didn't fit even though I followed the measurements provided. As far as the brick and mortar stores, they haven't had fitting rooms available since the pandemic started. It's a pain trying to judge if something fits just by holding it up to your body, drive all the way home to try it on just to find out it doesn't fit, then drive back to the store to return it. I understand your point that there are people that seem to return more than they keep but because of these circumstances I may also fall into that category right now through no fault of my own.