Honored Contributor

Re: Serial returners are a big part of the problem

@Gorgf wrote:

@Isobel Archer   I am the same way and refuse to pay the return shipping costs. I returned one blouse  last year as too low cut in tbe front and would never wear it. I avoid numerial sizes as dont want the hassles to exchange. I exchanged the first pair of NYDJ s as didn't literally fit into the go down a size. 

Anything else is in the damaged defected category. I else look at reviews which helps sometimes to make a decision.

@Gorgf 

Sorry, but I'm not following you ....   You refuse to pay return shipping costs .... so if something doesn't fit, you'll keep it rather than return it?  And do what with the item that doesn't fit? 

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I don’t consider myself a serial returner and quite frankly I don’t care if you do think I’m one. I don’t like to shop in stores. As a plus size woman, if I only shopped in stores, my selection is much too limited. I choose online retailers who have a generous return policy so I know if I’m not satisfied with a purchase, I can return it. I’m not going to be shamed into keeping things I’m not happy with because a stranger on the inter webs brags she’s only returned 3 items in 30 years.

@RollTide2008 

LOL ....  Unfortunately, returns are part of every retailers' business.    Since there are less stores that allow us into dressing rooms these days, online retailers have to expect more returns.   I don't think many adhere strongly to anything being a "final sale".

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
I see people on here posting weekly how they're returning or exchanging things they previously bought. I also know someone who tells me every time she goes to a mall or shopping center she returned at least one if not a few things from each trip. The return line at 1 store I go to is always long.

Is this honestly something to be proud of? Do they not realize probably a good bit of what is returned never makes it back on store shelves & ends up in a landfill somewhere? And to compensate for lost store profits, prices are raised across the board for everyone. I would also think at some point stores would ban people if they're smart who return things so frequently. Some stores are better at this than others.

Sorry, but this just pushes my buttons. I don't like seeing so much waste nor higher prices & this is a big contributing factor to that! Certainly with tons of other factors I well realize that contribute to rising prices.

Shouldn't people admit they have a shopping problem or don't they consciously realize this because they return so much they think they dont really shop (actually keep) that much?

I maybe return 1 item every 6 months & feel guilty about that! I also consciously try not to purchase anything if I'm not 100% sure I want to buy it & use it. I feel I can always go back later if I'm on the fence about something & if it's meant to be, it will still be there or still in stock online.

@sometimesQVCaddict 

I have to admit that I have bought things I tried on in B&M stores that fit.  A day or two later I'm hit with the "what was I thinking?" thought, and I returned it because I changed my mind.   Not illegal in any state, so far.  

IMO, Someone being a serial returner is only half the problem.   These returners are also "impulse buyers".   Maybe they get a little thrill out of seeing something online, whipping out the Visa card, and Viola!  a purchase is on its way to them.       

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I am lucky to have enough to be a standard size Large 14-16 and lean towards 14. I know my style  and frame for example, avoid tunics that are long. I rarely order numeral sizes as that is where I  could have difficulty.  I rarely ever need to exchange or send back.  I am good with certain lines like D&C or Isaac.  I dress classic and dont require trendy items.If I find a style in jeans that work I order another.  

Because of return shipping costs I avoid sending back so am very very careful and selective in what I order to not have to do so.  Ordering several sizes, colors, styles is not my thing just to have to return what is not wearable.  Sorry, I hope that is more clear?

I donated Sketchers pair of shoes once, when too small  and if inconsistent in sizing  for me never order that line again. Saves alot of hassle and expense.

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic   Anyone who would take the time to do thstnis larcenous period.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also a fact:  Many people who watch the Q are bored and place an order they haven't carefully considered.  When reality sets in they return it.  Home shopping gets more returns than real stores because it's so easy to click a purchase.

Frankly, returns are easier too.  You don't even have to leave the house if you use their return label and you don't care about getting a receipt for your return.

The whole home shopping industry is aimed at people who would rather not leave the house to shop.  Ideally, people would shop with a little integrity.  But that's not always the case.

Valued Contributor

I'm not shaming anyone personally, but it's my opinion it's wasteful to constantly return items. Obviously if someone has no shame or guilt in returning things, that's your prerogative.

My prerogative is the opinion that I see no point in creating so much waste (even new with tags never opened items end up in landfills because it costs too much to process returns for some stores). And I don't buy on a regular basis items I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping. Nor am I that impulsive to buy things a '"TV host stranger" tells me i need to buy RIGHT NOW before it sells out!

As far as clothing, I stand behind my comments that if sizing is THAT finicky for you, shop where you can try things on. If you can't drive, I guarantee there's someone who can drive you if you needed to. Again, my opinion and I also guarantee there are those that will disagree with this.

For those "loud & proud" about returning 8 bazillion things, please don't come back & complain when you get banned from stores or websites for excessive returns!
Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict   Inflation is the main cause of prices going up everywhere. Returns go back into merchandise to be sold again.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I don't apologize for what I return.  I try to get something that's my size. 

There's a real difference between a 1X and a 2X.

I used to keep all the clothes and stuff that didn't fit and give it away.

My daughter spends weeks and sometimes a few months with me.

She s aw how many brand new clothes I was giving away.  She made me understand that I should box it up and send it back.

I do that now.  I employ a friend to help me and  she Carrie's the boxes to the post office.

Honored Contributor

My teenage granddaughters and their mothers (my daughters) don't try on anything in the stores.

Most of the time they just order from places like Lands End, etc.

What doesn't fit gets sent back, I think some at places (unlike QVC) it's free.