Esteemed Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Daisy: No she did not as was rehashed several months ago.  The officials rushed her to the post-game interview and other officials retrieved her award and personal belongings, e.g. rackets.

@Zernia Rose

I watched the video - she picked up her stuff that was on the chair, but left the trophy.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

My take?  Yes, unprofessional but she DID say she didn't want this to take away from the win for her opponent.

Isn't is odd how so many are so quick to drag her around yet those spoiled males who acted far worse get a pass.

I like Serena. 

Sorry -- her actions speak louder than her words.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

My memory is a little sketchy, but wasn’t there something like this some years back with her also?  Outburst on the court. that's about all I remember. 

I think that was against Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open,  Serena kind of imploded over a call and threatened  the umpire. She said I want to kill you.  That umpire (a lineman) complained to the head umpire. And Serena freaked out.  They gave the game to Kim who ended up Champion. I think was back in 2009.  they were severe to Serena.  She got fined  $175,000.00 for that.  To tell you the truth, I don't think Serena will get fined for what she did today. 

If she isn't fined, the umpire should be fired.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

My take?  Yes, unprofessional but she DID say she didn't want this to take away from the win for her opponent.

Isn't is odd how so many are so quick to drag her around yet those spoiled males who acted far worse get a pass.

I like Serena. 

So women's "equality" is all about letting the gals behave as badly as the guys?

Honored Contributor

She did say a while back she was struggling with depression after her child.  Maybe she is depressed or very stressed? That life has to be hard.  It is certainly no excuse, but maybe its a reason?  She has been out of character for a while.

Respected Contributor

I was awful and painful to watch. Serena is great tennis player but has no class.... I felt terrible for Naomi, her great achievement was so horribly overshadowed by Serena’s terrible behavior, if she could scream “race” she would, not in this case fortunately though. And the crowd was rude too ( I understand the disappointment though, I myself was rooting for Serena, not anymore now). 

Honored Contributor

Re: Serena Williams/US Open

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Daisy: No she did not as was rehashed several months ago.  The officials rushed her to the post-game interview and other officials retrieved her award and personal belongings, e.g. rackets.

@Zernia Rose

I watched the video - she picked up her stuff that was on the chair, but left the trophy.

That was a story a random website nit-picked up to try and fuel petty commentary after she congratulated Angelique and complimented her.   I think only one site even tried to showcase it, and people really had to dig to find it.   I think all of this is an example of a double-standard with the male tennis players treated far differently than the women who are judged far more harshly.  

The topic of leaving the trophy was hashed out here rather heatedly and the moderators removed the thread, by the way, so it's likely not something we'll be allowed to resume -- just a heads up for those who might not have seen the other deleted thread.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I like Serena. 

So women's "equality" is all about letting the gals behave as badly as the guys?

In a sense, yes, @vsm, although I don't call us "gals."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have never understood the argument but yet the men did this.... when the men did it we complained also. I remember countless news stories when the men acted like entitled brats also. She needs to regroup. She is aging and competing against a lot younger women. She had a great run and it is a shame SHE is tarnishing her own legacy.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I have never understood the argument but yet the men did this.... when the men did it we complained also. I remember countless news stories when the men acted like entitled brats also. She needs to regroup. She is aging and competing against a lot younger women. She had a great run and it is a shame SHE is tarnishing her own legacy.

@Nancy Drew, they're called "bad boys." It's almost like a badge of honor. I dub Serena the "bad girl" of tennis. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland