Honored Contributor

Please don't try to get me to take sides..I won't

Esteemed Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

She has been fined. Her coach admits he was coaching her, but says everyone does it and she didn't see him

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6148301/Serena-Williams-coach-admits-coaching-Open-finals.h...

She saw him.....she made the play he motioned right afterwards....many think she "doesn't need coaching"...but a coach sees a different perspective in the stands and tries to show the player another approach to the  situation..............sorry...she saw him...did it...and protested in defense...she was "caught".....even the women moderators including CEvert commented that she listened to the coach.............

------------------

She saw the coach and followed through.  Her anger should have been directed at her coach; he and she knew that it was against the rules.  She got caught and couldn't handle being called out. 

This game was not ONLY about Serena. I feel for the  winner!!  I admire her athletic ability, but Serena's behavior was inappropriate and unnecessary!!

Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember John McEnroe and Jimmy Conners and what language they used with refs? They also broke rackets. I can't recall a single time they were penalized by losing a game. It certainly appears to be a double standard. Serena has also been drug tested more than any other female athlete. Are women still expected to be little ladies on court and control their anger? Her behavior on the podium with Naomi was conforting toward her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Does anyone remember John McEnroe and Jimmy Conners and what language they used with refs? They also broke rackets. I can't recall a single time they were penalized by losing a game. It certainly appears to be a double standard. Serena has also been drug tested more than any other female athlete. Are women still expected to be little ladies on court and control their anger? Her behavior on the podium with Naomi was conforting toward her. 

I don't think it's relevant to compare a recent event to the days of McEnroe and Conners.  Also, I don't appreciate her making excuses for her inappropriate unprofessional behavior and calling it awomen's rights issue.  Her behavior on the court and on the podium was ridiculous in my opinion.  She needed to take the loss in stride instead of stealing the winner's moment in the spotlight.

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...