Honored Contributor
there is another thread about this on the sports forum
Honored Contributor

Re: Serena Williams/US Open

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Yes, she's been a lightning rod since Day 1.

She is an astounding athlete -- one if not THE best female tennis player in history.

@suzyQ3

My sports radio guys are always talking about this.

They say it shouldn’t be characterized by ‘female’.

She is the best tennis player in history.

In fact several say (and remember these are sportsy-sports dudes)

she & LeBron are 1a and 1b of ‘Greatest Of All Time’ athletes

in history. 

I agree. 

Honored Contributor

She is responsible for her behavior.  She behaved like a spoiled brat.  

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

I think sometimes these outbursts are stall tactics and to throw their opponent off their game.

@Sweet_Serenity - this isn't something new to the tennis world - this has happened for years. 

This makes it acceptable? There was a time when this wasn't the norm.

Really?? When was that?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

She did say a while back she was struggling with depression after her child.  Maybe she is depressed or very stressed? That life has to be hard.  It is certainly no excuse, but maybe its a reason?  She has been out of character for a while.

She has always had anger issues especially  years back...doubt very much it is because of childbirth....

Respected Contributor

@Alicew wrote:

I no longer have any respect for her.  Shame on her.  I will never watch her again.

I'm sure she''ll be heartbroken. I don't understand all the acrimony against a gifted athelete. She over reacted....sure, but anyone who as ever played sports knows how high energy and emotions run during intense competition.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

The only two things I know for sure is that I don't have enough talent to measure up to her sneakers, and she is a force of nature.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Alicew wrote:

I no longer have any respect for her.  Shame on her.  I will never watch her again.

I'm sure she''ll be heartbroken. I don't understand all the acrimony against a gifted athelete. She over reacted....sure, but anyone who as ever played sports knows how high energy and emotions run during intense competition.

Exactly. As I said, Serena plays like a man, temper flares, self anger, competitive obsession and all. She's also always been resented by some, and that's their problem, not hers. I can still hear Johnny Mac yelling at the umpires more than once in his career, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!"

Honored Contributor

The "you-know-what effect" has found many expressions.

Esteemed Contributor

Now I’ve read it all. You just got to laugh it off.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.