Honored Contributor

Serena Williams/US Open

[ Edited ]

She has gone off the rails, she is aruging with the line judge and yelling and screaming at the officials, hmm what is going on 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I don't even know what to say. 

Contributor

Coaching violation, not getting her way, smashing racket, acting totally unprofessional!

Esteemed Contributor

When I attended the US Open in NY this went on all the time with John McEnroe and Jimmy Conners - so many outbursts. 

On the other hand, Bjorn Borg was a dream to watch and little to no outbursts.

Chrissy Everett was great as was Martina Navratolova (sp?).

Honored Contributor

Fine example of entitlement. No sportsmanship whatsoever. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think sometimes these outbursts are stall tactics and to throw their opponent off their game.

@Sweet_Serenity - this isn't something new to the tennis world - this has happened for years. 

Honored Contributor

Two things... First, perhaps she's gotten too big for her proverbial britches. She's had a storied career and perhaps it's gone to her head... And secondly, she's probably having a hard time accepting that with age, physical changes, younger and more fit competitors and family responsibilities, her game nor her triumphs are going to be as prolific as they once were... In other words, perhaps, despite her many successes and her still solid skills, aging gracefully isn't going to be easy for her...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Serena Williams/US Open

[ Edited ]

@riley1 wrote:

I think sometimes these outbursts are stall tactics and to throw their opponent off their game.

@Sweet_Serenity - this isn't something new to the tennis world - this has happened for years. 

But historically, it hasn't been her M.O. that often and that's what makes it different...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's a shame that the awesome play and win of Naomi is being overshadowed by Serena's behavior.

Honored Contributor

Serena is certainly showing sportsmanship now in the post match ceremony.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"