Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

#GOAT #WellBehavedWomenSheldonMakeHistory

9291AA60-5C11-4592-806E-EF01656E8106.jpeg

Thank you.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I think Serena is a favorite target for some and has been since she dared to compete in Wimbledon in front of the country club set. I also think this is a perfect example of behavior by the men being chalked up to fierce competitorship and the heat of competition, as opposed to a female competitor who is supposed to be a little lady in competition at all times. The men get and have always had a pass, while the women haven't. Chris Evert was calledd the ice queen because she showed NO emotion. Rosie Casals, not so much. We all knew when Martina was upset.  Serena competes like a man. So did Martina. Each temperament is different. Yet Serena is always the one who is expected to "get in line and control it." I believe that the hardest person on Serena in the long run is Serena. She always gives it her all, and her frustrations come out in times when her all is just not working. I'm sure John MacEnroe, Jimmy Connors, and Illie Nastase understand perfectly where she is coming from.

You said it perfectly.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not surprised. She left her Wimbledon trophy (2nd place) behind, didn't she?

Honored Contributor

Patrick Mouratoglou (Ms William's coach) contributed mightily to her loss today.  Ms. Osaka was outplaying Ms William's and earned this U.S. Open title.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, she's been a lightning rod since Day 1.

She is an astounding athlete -- one if not THE best female tennis player in history.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Serena Williams/US Open

[ Edited ]

Two things.....first, there are great inequalities in tennis still.  Men have been allowed to swear, throw rackets, go ballistic etc.

This tournament, a female player was given a violation for turning her shirt around as she had it on backward.  Men strip off their shirts all the time without so much as a warning.

Second, Serena had thought her and the ump were simpatico, then the point violation....and subsequently the game violation.  She should have just taken the hit without any more confrontati0n.  But we're not her and that is that.

Congrats Osaka....she would've beaten Serena anyway.

Serena is still the best in the world.....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Patrick Mouratoglou (Ms William's coach) contributed mightily to her loss today.  Ms. Osaka was outplaying Ms William's and earned this U.S. Open title.  

Yes, he certainly did.  The umpire chose to not let it go as it was rather blatant.  As soon as he did it, Serena did just what he signaled her to do...go to net.  The announcers even acknowledged it.

Serena knew she had a warning and if she smashed her racquet it would be a point penalty.  She started on the umpire with the verbal attack at that point and continued on with it.

I found it incredibly unprofessional for her to stand on the court crying/whining to  Brian Earley, the tournament referee. 

Osaka played a wonderful 2 week tournament and an outstanding final.  I am not sure how she concentrated on the matchl with all of the drama swirling around her.  Kudos to her.

.....waving "hi" to Deep!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Yes, he certainly did.  The umpire chose to not let it go as it was rather blatant.  As soon as he did it, Serena did just what he signaled her to do...go to net.  The announcers even acknowledged it.

Serena knew she had a warning and if she smashed her racquet it would be a point penalty.  She started on the umpire with the verbal attack at that point and continued on with it.

I found it incredibly unprofessional for her to stand on the court crying/whining to  Brian Earley, the tournament referee. 

Osaka played a wonderful 2 week tournament and an outstanding final.  I am not sure how she concentrated on the matchl with all of the drama swirling around her.  Kudos to her.

.....waving "hi" to Deep!

So did I, "Hi Mersha".

Honored Contributor

@MickD Thanks for the reminder, that was ludicrous...that whole shirt incident. There are still inequities between men and women in sports, including tennis. But like Chris Evert and Pam Shriver said, yes the men curse and yell but they usually don't continue speaking to the umpire in the way she did today.  She escalated it when she could have chosen a different path. She was offended by the notion that she was cheating because of her coach, and that set her off. She said he was giving her thumbs up, that's not what the replay showed. They need to do something about that whole issue, because they said every coach does it. At this point Serena doesn't really need coaching,  courtside or otherwise.

Serena let her emotions get the best of her today, she should have dropped it with the umpire and just focused on playing better. I didn't see the match but I saw all the replays of what went on. She does seem to be held to a higher standard, outside of what went on today.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Frequent Contributor

I am so happy that she lost. Time to hang up your racquet Serena!!!!