Honored Contributor

Re: September 11 Remembrance

[ Edited ]

jazzy, your post was beautifully written.  My bil worked right there too.......maybe in the same building as your husband. 

My bil was unreachable for a while too.  Eventually, he was able to catch a ride on someone's boat across to Jersey. My husband picked his brother up and drove him home to central Jersey. My bil  has only talked to my husband about the sounds, smells, tastes  on that day. After that day, he does not discuss it. 

There were lots of calls back and forth with family/ friends to relay information.

My bil's office had to move to another location as well. 

My husband's office was near the GWBridge at the time.  When he was on the phone with me, you could hear the fighter jets.  You are so right, there is no mistaking that sound.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Stunning: The photo above shows a rainbow appearing over the Freedom Tower in New York City on Thursday, - one day before the 14th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks

Stunning: The photo above shows a rainbow appearing over the Freedom Tower in New York City on Thursday, - one day before the 14th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks

On the eve of the 14th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, stunning photos show a rainbow appearing to originate from the World Trade Center in New York City on Thursday. 

Ben Sturner, the CEO of sports marketing company Leverage Agency, has an unobstructed view of the Manhattan skyline including the World Trade Center, from across the East River. 

On Thursday morning, Sturner stepped outside of his apartment in Long Island City, Queens and onto the terrace to check the weather as part of his daily routine. 

The sight that he saw while standing outside just after 7:00am was nothing short of magical and stunning. 

.........."thank you for sharing this story with me ~US,      very much.   NAES"

Respected Contributor

Early afternoon crossing into Manhatten.  Skyline will forever be changed.11986500_10206656693567497_1084830679182200226_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Early afternoon crossing into Manhatten.  Skyline will forever be changed.11986500_10206656693567497_1084830679182200226_n.jpg

And so is our Country

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom

It's as if you were writing my husbands story when you told about yours, down to where he was in 1993 when the first bombing took place. 

In the days that followed, he did tell me what he saw and heard that morning but other than that he won't talk about it either.   

He's never been the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in California. I woke up at 7 a.m., and turned on the news, and was confused at first as to what was happening.

Once I understood what was going on, I was shocked, and watched in disbelief. It was like I had woken up to a world that had gone mad.

I remember seeing black smoke pouring out of the gaping hole in the one remaining World Trade building. (The first one had already collasped by the time I tuned in). Then, without warning, the second one fell, and I screamed.

That day haunted me for a good two years. I did not know a single, solitairy soul who lived in New York, but it haunted me still.

I would go to bed at night, and I would try to imagine what it must have been like for those poor unfortunate people, who were in the offices, and saw the planes heading right for them, knowing that it was going to hit.

I would also try to imagine being so scared, so terrified, that they jumped. Or maybe they knew that they were not going to make it, so they decided to die on their own terms.

In other words, I would try to put myself in to their shoes, see things through their eyes.

I know that there are some people who lost their spouses, who still have every item that belonged to their lost loved one.

Then, there are those who lost their spouse, and have since remarried, (both men and women), and have brought new children in to this world.

To me, it seems longer than 14 years ago. But I also know, that for others, it seems like it happened yesterday.

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional

Those blue lights reaching into the heavens get to me, too...haunting...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

First I have to say good job by all for the wonderful pictures that were posted. I live in NYC  and I watched my local news at 8:30 watching the names being read by family member. This went on til about 12:20 or so. I watched some but just couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing. I was wondering to those of you that live in other states across the country does your local news carry the ceremony?

Esteemed Contributor

My news carry snippets of the ceremony.

Esteemed Contributor

One of our local radio stations played it intermittantly in between segments, before/after news/traffic/weather, instead of bumper music, etc.  I haven't had the tv on today.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~