Honored Contributor

Sentencing in Rust Movie Set Death

[ Edited ]

Today Hannah Gutierrez, the armorer on the Rust movie set, was sentenced to the maximum, 18 months in prison.

Alex Baldwin, who shot the gun that killed the cinematographer, goes on trial in July.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sentencing in Rust Movie Set Death

@Kachina624  Sounds to me that that movie shoot was a bottom of the barrel production where anything/everything was allowed.  In my opinion, Baldwin was in charge so should be held responsible.

Valued Contributor

I'm stunned that the maximum sentence was only 18 months, which in this case resulted in murder.

And Baldwin was also a producer of 'Rust', so he should be facing a much longer sentence, but I don't believe that is so.

Some justice.

Trusted Contributor

@colleena 

Not really.

Weapons on a movie set are handed to the actor by the Director, who says "Clear", meaning he checked the gun and there were no live rounds, from what I understand.

My brother works on movie sets.

I'm the farthest thing from a fan of Baldwin's, but I don't see how he's legally liable.

More facts will come out during his trial, I'll wait for that, to make a judgement.

Esteemed Contributor

This heartbreaking story is just tragic ALL around!💔😔 I think they gave her the heftiest sentence allowable, but no amount of prison time will bring dear Halyna back!!😔😔HOPEFULLY, it will bring some closure for her family, so that they can begin to properly mourn her!💝💝💝 My heart TRULY aches for her dear family!!💔

May she rest in peace!🙏❤🙏

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I would agree, in my opinion Baldwin is not to blame, like just said, he was handed the gun by the person responsible for checking it, that was not his job. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Matt Hutchins, the husband of Halyna who was shot on the set of 'Rust', stated:

"I was angry to see Baldwin talk about her death so publicly in such a detailed way, and then to not accept responsibility after having just described killing her.

"The idea that the person holding the gun causing it to discharge is not responsible is absurd to me."

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonMom  I totally agree w/what you are saying on how it's supposed to be.  But that little voice in the back of my head is saying that Alex was in charge & seemed to be okay w/what was going on/not going on during the production.  

Honored Contributor

The judge in Santa Fe who will hear this case is very tough.  Baldwin should be very worried.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You have an armorer and a Director, both of whom are responsible for making sure any weapons on set are non-lethal.  That is the primary job of the armorer.

In Gutierrez-Reed's case, other crew members were said to have complained that she spent a lot of time drinking and doing drugs, while off set.  She has certainly shown no remorse; only blaming everyone but herself.  Have any of you seen the reports of the recorded phone calls she made from prison?  Calling the jury idiots and a---holes (and that was the nicest thing she said).

That she had previously sneaked a weapon into a nightclub and bragged about it online?  That they had searched her "handbag", but not her "butt cheeks"?  That shows arrogance and disregard for the law.

She was the person whose job was to make sure all weapons were safe.  She didn't do that.  If she didn't want to do the job, she should not have accepted the assignment.

And setting aside how any of us feel about any actor - what actor should be expected to think s(he) is being handed a loaded, live gun on a film set?  None, IMO.