Honored Contributor

Re: Second Pfizer vaccination scheduled for17 days after the first??

DH and I were both given a sheet of info after we had our shots about side effects, etc. I assumed everyone was given something similar. It said to take Tylenol for discomfort or headache
(Tylenol has never helped my headaches) or ibuprofen (ditto). My headache was not severe or long-lasting so I toughed it out and slept if off.
Esteemed Contributor

In a short explanation about J&J vaccine. It uses a genetically engineered adenovirus injected. It’s a virus like in a common cold but has been engineered so that it doesn’t replicate. It enters the cells and basically fools your own immune system to fight the intruder. The technology is used in the Ebola vaccine.
Esteemed Contributor

Had 2nd 22 days after 1st.  No reaction to either, nada.  Had Phizer.

Super Contributor

My hubby got the Pfizer vaccine. he should have been scheduled for his 2nd shot 3 weeks later. but didn't get scheduled until 4 weeks out. he tried to change it but they refused assuring him it would be ok, that that was their policy regarding Pfizer or Moderna, 4 weeks after 1st dose. our friend who is a doctor disagreed with that and was livid our state wasn't following manufacturers guidelines. but since my husband couldn't get his appointment changed... had to believe it would be effective, regardless. i wish you well. 

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@MarthaStewardess, ok....that's 19 days.  I wonder why this is never mentioned in the news.  

Good luck to your mom!

Thank you! I happy she finally got it.  I just wish I could get it soon.

Contributor

4 days earlier or 4 days later are okay for either Pfizer or Moderna. 4 days earlier still would be considered a "valid" vaccine. See the "Intervals" section below from CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Respected Contributor

DH & I finally gave up on finding a "convenient", and drove 50 miles round-trip to get our 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday, March 4. Our next dose is scheduled for April 1. Twenty-eight days between doses.

Got the injection at 9:00 a.m., by 4:00 p.m. the injection site and my upper arm above the site were very sore and felt "tight"--hurt to move it. I also felt just not quite right. Not sick or anything, just out of sorts. We were told Tylenol was OK. I took Tylenol PM's before bed, and woke up next morning with my arm just a little sore.

Super Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@FatCatinCT, so are you going to keep the appointment date as is?  Right this minute, I think I'll keep mine at 17 days.  But I keep changing my mind, minute by minute.  Because after all of the online registering and phone calls for appointments, we want the best outcome.  I want to go see my grandkids.  Even if I wear a mask, I'll feel better knowing I have that layer of protection.  I'm 73 and waiting this out might not be an option.

@Mmsfoxxie , yes we are keeping our appointment.  At this point to reschedule would probably put us so far out as appointments are far and few between that it's best to keep as is. 

Knock on wood, we have a 6 and 4 year old grandson that live close by so we have gotten to be with them during this whole ordeal without any consequence.  Pushed our luck, we know. 

I wish you all the best... Kathie

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  I went today and was specifically told I could schedule the second shot as soon as 17 days out from the first stick. They also were only making folks wait ten minutes before being deemed 'safe' to leave. The very nice young woman who gave me the shot was wiling to answer any and all questions within her sphere of knowledge and indicated the longer they work with the vaccine the better able they are to fine tune the immunization process. So, it seems the time frame you were given is becoming the front end norm for the follow-up.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb , yeaaa, you got it done!  How did it come about?  Any side effects?  So glad for you.  What about your mother?  (Yep, I'm nosy, lol).

I guess when the experts learn something new, it slowly filters down to us little folk.  

I've got six grandkids but only two are girls and they are the youngest and I'm hopeful I can go see them this year.  My April, 2020 visit had to be cancelled due to you know what.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)