Honored Contributor

Second Pfizer vaccination scheduled for17 days after the first??

I had my first vaccination yesterday and things went fine until I was given an appointment for March 22nd for the second dose.  I said to the scheduler that I thought it was supposed to be 21 days later.  She said the vaccination could be valid four days earlier as well as a week or so later than 21 days.  So I accepted the appointment but after googling, I only saw this said about twice so I'm not feeling comfortable about 17 days....four days early.

Anybody get their second dose after 17 days or know anyone that did?

By the way, I had a bad headache all night and still feel weird this morning.  Maybe I shouldn't have but I took ibuprofen after trying to ignore it but gave in.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Contributor

Re: Second Pfizer vaccination scheduled for17 days after the first??

[ Edited ]

My husband and I received the Moderna vaccine yesterday.  Our 2nd is scheduled for April 6th. 

A friend received the Pfizer vaccine 3/3.  His second is scheduled on 3/25.  My understanding is Pfizer's 2nds can be scheduled sooner than Moderna's.  

ETA - I experienced an instant headache and elevated heart rate.  The headache lasted all day and is gone now.  The heart rate was temporary.  

Honored Contributor

@Latonya @Yes Moderna is a 28 interim and Pfizer is 21.  Never heard of 17 day interim before yesterday.  I'm thinking about trying to reschedule cause this isn't sitting well with me.

A retired nurse friend told me that some of her nurse friends that are still working say are getting second doses at a two week interval but why isn't this publicized I'm wondering.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  Both DH & myself recieved the Pfizer Vaccine. We were both given 21 day appointments for the second dose. I would call my doctor or local health department & ask them.

I did hear a few days later than 21 days is ok. I never heard about taking it sooner. I would check into it. If you still feel uncomfortable I would call & reschedule.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie Try to reach someone where you received your vaccine or the place you are scheduled to receive your 2nd one, if that's a different place.  See if you can reschedule. 

Your nurse friend's info re 2nds being scheduled in 2 weeks would make me feel better but I would reach out to the facility who gave you the first vaccination or the facility where you are scheduled to receive your 2nd one, if it's a different facility.  

Information is constantly changing with these vaccines. 

Honored Contributor

My first Moderna vaccine was 2/3 and my second was yesterday, 3/5.

So far, just some site soreness, no other side effects (knock on wood!).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie

Perfectly fine to take painkillers after

Honored Contributor

DH's first was Pfizer and his second is scheduled for 21 days later.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

From cdc dot gov:

Interval between mRNA doses

The second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, but not earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, second doses administered within a grace period of 4 days earlier than the recommended date for the second dose are still considered valid. If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval and a delay in vaccination is unavoidable, the second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may be administered up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose. Currently, only limited data are available on efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered beyond this window.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

i'm sorry that you are feeling anxious 

i got this from the CDC and take what you will from it

perhaps you can reschedule - i know that can be very difficult

i wish you the very best

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.19.09 AM.png