Honored Contributor

Re: Scientist warns about antibacterial soaps

I'll be honest, I used to buy all the anti bacterial products.  Dish liquid, hand soaps, bath soaps, Lysol, etc.

The only reason I stopped is because I went more natural (plant based or 'green') and I'm sure there are some eyes rolling here now because I said that.  lol.

Good news is we can pick and choose what we want to use, no one is forcing anything on us. 

Science changes like the tide.  Coffee is good for us.  Coffee is bad for us.  Today I just read it's okay to have one cup, but just one cup.  Thankfully, that's all I ever have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The science about triclosan has been there from the beginning.

In contrast, drinking coffee isn't going to affect your community hospital by creating drug-resistant bacteria.

This isn't really a case of everyone choosing to do what they want.  It's knowing the difference between the kinds of effects these choices might cause.

(How much coffee is healthy for any one individual depends on a lot of factors.  The answer isn't as simple as the number of cups per day.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

They do a good job of marketing those products and those who don't know any better here "antibacterial" and think that has to be a good thing.  They think all bacteria cause illnesses, which isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.  I actually never bought or used antibacterial soap.  I didn't see the point.  Soap and water works just fine.  I only use hand sanitizer when I'm I have no access to soap and water.  This information isn't new and it's not someone's theory and it isn't going to change.  It's a scientific fact and it's been out there for years, since antibacterial soap marketing began. 

Super Contributor

Our family was recently forced to go "antibacterial" with everything and I mean everything when our fur baby was diagnosed with MRSA/MRSP. We had no idea that animals could get MRSA?MRSP nor that it coud be transfered from them to Humans. We did not want to put our fur baby down so we had to be extremely careful, It has been a long road trying to get her back to full health. We are still not out of the woods but at least her skin is no longer falling off or severely inflammed. We have been told that although she is no longer a threat to us she will and can be to other animals. We have gone back to using some antibacterial products but I will occasionally still use the hand soap especially when I've been petting or playing with our fur baby. But I agree that we shouldn't use antibacterial products exclusively. My believe is that is causing more harm then good.

Honored Contributor

Back to my coconut oil spiel.. The story goes that its antibacterial/anti fungal/antiviral properties have to do with a lipid interference of life processes of these. I guess nobody is manufacturing the active ingredient (Lauric acid) but it is seeming to work for my problems.

We need to watch how we treat the planet so we can continue to use plant sources to fight superbugs.❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Years ago when Bath and Body Works started using "anti-bac" everything, It was their "catch" word for everything current and in fashion.  DH told me to stop buying it. I called the main office over and over, asking them to bring back the regular soaps as a choice for those of us who wanted to stay away from antibacterial soaps. They basically told me this was the future, and they were sorry but the regular soaps were discontinued. Finally, a few years ago, they started to bring some back as a choice, and I could once again buy them. DH would never let us use anything antibacterial in our home. 

I didn't know they brought back the regular soaps.  I went to their website and nothing says anti-bacterial on it.  All the hand soaps say either Deep Cleansing or Gentle Cleansing.  Are the deep cleansing the anti-bacterial soaps?  I can't find ingrediants for either.    

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

ETA: Lovestoteach...I found the information that you posted on another thread

lovestoteach...would you mind pointing me in the direction of your cononut oil information..I'd like to read it, Thx

Honored Contributor

So are hand sanitizers good or bad? 

Doctors and nurses squirt some on their hands as soon as they enter a patient's hospital room. 

There's always a bottle at the 'checkout' in doctor's offices, dentist's offices and even at the lab where I got my blood work done last month. 

Are the hand sanitizers good (or unnecessary and these healthcare professionals just haven't gotten the memo yet)?

Trusted Contributor

There are plenty is natural plant based anti bacterial soaps and cleansers to choose from....mine use extract of oil of oregano.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I'm also against the anti-bacterial craze and never participated, because the threat of germs mutating and  becoming drug-resistant is pretty scary.

I notice grocery stores (at least some of them here) have hand-sanitizer  dispensers so you can clean off the grubbiness of the folks who came before you.  I walk on by, and make sure I wash my hands as soon as I get home.

I use them occasionally during cold/flu season or when the meat I bought leaked on me. Anti-bacterial hand gels are alcohol-based and the scientists are specifically warning against the use of products with Triclosan. 

I have a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk and it's been here for around 4 years and is still 2/3 full. I use after meeting with someone who is obviously sick or, more often, for wiping up a coffee spill. I use sugar in my coffee and the anti-bacterial gel is great for wiping things up and not leaving a sticky residue behind.