Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Scientist warns about antibacterial soaps

I stopped buying antibactieral soaps years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad this information is still being shared.

I've NEVER bought anti-bacterial soaps.  

First, the bacteria is not completely killed.  So if some survives, it may possibly mutate, and/or still grow with any left behind.

Second, the whole concept behind washing (and the point of using soap or detergent) has been lost.  Soap/detergent eliminates the surface tension that exists in water.  Eliminating that tension allows the soap to disperse the bacteria and dirt, etc. so it is removed from the skin.  

That's all you need to do!  You don't need to kill to have effective control.

Finally, it's a whole mindset this culture has about KILLING everything as if that is the be-all and end-all answer.

That is simply wrong.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I've heard about this years ago but it's always good for another reminder or for those who don't know.

I have found it very difficult to find liquid hand soap that isn't anti-bacterial.  Our local grocery store used to have their own brand called Valu-Time that was super cheap and really good.  Then they discontinued it and now only bring it out around the holidays in various winter scents.  I stock up when they do that.  

Respected Contributor

What about hand sanitizer--anti-bacterial gel?  I use that all the time.

Honored Contributor

Thoroughly washing your hands and making a real effort to not put your hands to your face helps to avoid getting sick.

My sister drowns herself in hand sanitizer and every antibacterial known to man and is always sick. 

We never get sick. 

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

Thoroughly washing your hands and making a real effort to not put your hands to your face helps to avoid getting sick.

My sister drowns herself in hand sanitizer and every antibacterial known to man and is always sick. 

We never get sick. 

I just shake my head at people using everything anti-bacterial, won't touch anything and practically walk around in a bubble, only to be sicker than most others.  I work with someone like that.     

Honored Contributor

Years ago when Bath and Body Works started using "anti-bac" everything, It was their "catch" word for everything current and in fashion.  DH told me to stop buying it. I called the main office over and over, asking them to bring back the regular soaps as a choice for those of us who wanted to stay away from antibacterial soaps. They basically told me this was the future, and they were sorry but the regular soaps were discontinued. Finally, a few years ago, they started to bring some back as a choice, and I could once again buy them. DH would never let us use anything antibacterial in our home. 

Respected Contributor

I'm also against the anti-bacterial craze and never participated, because the threat of germs mutating and  becoming drug-resistant is pretty scary.

I notice grocery stores (at least some of them here) have hand-sanitizer  dispensers so you can clean off the grubbiness of the folks who came before you.  I walk on by, and make sure I wash my hands as soon as I get home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladybug724 wrote:

What about hand sanitizer--anti-bacterial gel?  I use that all the time.

@Ladybug724

It's said that as long as the sanitizer is alcohol-based, it's not going to cause bacterial resistance or mutations as other chemicals may. 

The best is just washing hands with soap and water, however.

And since it's not meant to replace soap and water, I'm sure you're never going to give that up!

Here's hoping everyone has a healthy fall and winter.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.