Super Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

My mom passed away last year on Dec 16.  This time of year is starting to bring up many  reminders of her last couple of months. She had cancer and had to go into assisted living in September of last year. There were many problems including a week in the hospital for a broken hip and surgery.  I miss her so much. Now sadly my mother-in-law is in a similar situation. She has cancer, had pneumonia, and is now in a nursing home. She is with hospice and I am afraid that she does not have much time. I feel like I am living last year all over again. It is just such a sad time for my family.

So sorry you are having a hard time @Wiscfan3.  I think time does help although you never "get over" losing a parent.

My dad died on December 17, 2006.  Hard to believe it's been 11 years!  

I find it so interesting the things that bring memories to the surface.  People will often say to me that it is sad that my dad died during the holiday season and how it must be difficult for me during that time of year.  But, actually, for me that is not the case.  My dad never really loved Christmas.  He thought it had become too materialistic. He did love Thanksgiving, though, and he was such a great cook.  We have all tried to replicate his stuffing, but we never quite get there!

My dad really loved summer. He and my mom gave us the land where we built our house, which happens to be about 300 yards in back of my childhood home (where my mom still ives).  Dad used to love to mow our lawn.  And so, 11 years after his death, I find that the time I miss him most is when i am out mowing the lawn.  I still see him out there in his element, loving the warm sun and happy to help us by taking care of the grass.  Such bittersweet memories.

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

My mom passed away last year on Dec 16.  This time of year is starting to bring up many  reminders of her last couple of months. She had cancer and had to go into assisted living in September of last year. There were many problems including a week in the hospital for a broken hip and surgery.  I miss her so much. Now sadly my mother-in-law is in a similar situation. She has cancer, had pneumonia, and is now in a nursing home. She is with hospice and I am afraid that she does not have much time. I feel like I am living last year all over again. It is just such a sad time for my family.

@Wiscfan3- I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom last year.  It's very hard to lose a parent and now you're mother in law is sick.  I don't know if there's a good time of year to face losses and challenges like this, but definitely heading into the winter and holidays is especially tough.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

(((((HUGS)))) to all who lost friends or family recently.......

Makes it especially hard during the Holidays I know...

Respected Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss.  Your story (broken hip/pneumonia) is, sadly the same thing that happened to my father - and many elderly.  My dad broke his hip, had it replaced but never recovered after that and died 2 weeks before Christmas - 4 years ago and for the first 2 years after that Christmas time brought up those memories but as you know, time may not heal all wounds but it usually gets better for most of us.  

Honored Contributor

Image result for sending hugs to you images

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

@Wiscfan3

My heart is with you and I pray for strenth for you.  I just lost my dear mother a few days ago.  It was a long, long, painful struggle for her.  So, I know how you are feeling.   I am terribly sorry that your MIL is going through this.  Gather strength from your family and prayer.  My best to you.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I lost both my parents over the holidays, one on Dec 17 and the other Jan 14.  I think that there's a huge happy party "up there" over the dear Lord's birthday because it seems that a lot of those that we love are called to heaven during this time....

It's been 20 years and I miss them every single day.

My Dad died Dec. 19 and my Mom Jan. 16 many years ago.  I lost my Hubby Dec. 22, 2015.  

Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

@Wiscfan3  I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.  I think it always seems worse at the holidays because we equate that time w/happiness and now you're facing this sadness.

Be strong and you will get thru this!  Sending hugs!

Respected Contributor

So very sorry for your loss. We never forget and the hole in our heart remains but it scabs over so the pain isn’t so raw.

The sadness is a reminder of how much she meant to you, and means to you. How great a love. I, too, miss my mom, aren’t we fortunate to have had such a mother/ daughter relationship in our lives?

Super Contributor

My mother-in-law passed away this afternoon. Thank you all again for your thoughts, stories of your own loved ones and your losses, and your prayers. I was so sad and down last night and just knew that today was going to be the day we lost her. I am glad that she is no longer suffering and she and my mom are together in heaven watching out for us from above. I just can't believe that a year ago I had 2 moms, and now I have none.