Honored Contributor

Last night the actual competition started.  I'm still a bit confused about this season but from what I observed, the female street dancers are superior to their male counterparts. With the exception of 1 or 2 guys, the other ones are one trick ponies.

There are some outstanding stage dancers.  As a fan of ballet, I loved the 2 guys.  Also, I thought the final couple was superior to the 3 girls trying to look sexy.

I still miss Mary A LOT but Paula was quite articulate last night and Jason seemed to know what he was talking about.

Cat said next week they are going to mix up the groups.  I did not know if she meant the street and stage dancers or just the groups within the teams.

Frequent Contributor

I watched last evening as well.  I'm thinking that the format will return to the original programming where each competitor will pick a random dance and get a partner (or partners) to perform with.  In the past, most of the trained dancers usually can get into the street dancing.  It will be interesting to see how the current crop of street dancers adjust to the other forms of dance.  Some have, most notably Twitch, so it should be a good season for SYTYCD.  I'm also hoping they bring some of the former judges back as guests to keep it interesting.  You are so right about the b-girls this year...I've always been partial to the classically trained dancers but those b-girls sure are a talented lot.

Honored Contributor
I have been impressed with the choreography of the street teams. Did not know that "street style" could be coordinated to look so seamless. Jason Deruillo (sp?) is amazingly, fantastically talented! He sure can dance and that group number blew me away!!!💜
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I saw Mary on PBS, hosting a ballroom dancing event.

Honored Contributor

Re: SYTYCD Fans

[ Edited ]

I had a meeting last night and haven't watched last night's episode yet.

I really enjoyed the one year where we got to see all the dancers perform with each other without voting on them for the first episode after they chose the final 20. That was the year that Fikshun won and the top 10 boys did that amazing sand routine by Christopher Scott. I watched that and told my friend "Christopher Scott is some kind of wizard." It's still one of my favorite pieces from the show.

If anyone missed it, here's a link to watch Sand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAfHzJfma4I*

*I found a better quality version and updated the post.

Respected Contributor
I haven't watched last night's episode either. This is one of my favorite shows but my husband can't take too much if it, lol, so we watched something else.
Esteemed Contributor

I thought she meant they will all be doing all kinds of dances (like other years), starting next week. I prefer the stage dancers more than the street dancers. And I for one do not miss Mary at all.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles