Respected Contributor

Re: SS recipients could get good increase 2023

@PA Mom-mom good luck finding that flexible part time job!this is a want and need from all of us.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I've read in view of high cost of living, inflation, etc. we could get

10.4%, some say for sure 8.50% in Jan. 2023.

(no politics PLEASE)

@SharkE 

Those 3 words got ignored pretty quickly. And some will ask "wonder why that got the poof treatment). Hmm!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn    don't matter now. I got my point across.

Gives us something to hope for.   LOL

Respected Contributor

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@vsm wrote:

More spending means more inflation.  That's not politics -- it's economics 101.

But @vsm I think many of the recipients will be spending their COLAs on necessities and not frivolous purchases.

Unfortunately, the purpose of the spending doesn't matter to the inflationary spiral. Spending is spending, and it juices up inflation to the point that only a recession will reduce it.  Recession will in turn make necessities even harder to come by.

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm 

Especially true when spending is in the 13 digit range.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@vsm wrote:

But @vsm I think many of the recipients will be spending their COLAs on necessities and not frivolous purchases.

Unfortunately, the purpose of the spending doesn't matter to the inflationary spiral. Spending is spending, and it juices up inflation to the point that only a recession will reduce it.  Recession will in turn make necessities even harder to come by.

Actually, the increase is not intended to provide MORE buying power. It is intended to keep pace with current prices. With that said, spending will not increase, so no inflationary impact. The covid stimulus checks to everyone is an example of EXTRA money which has an inflationary impact.

Inflation is world wide and has been ratcheted up by the pandemic and supply chain disruptions. It will take all the countries who drive the global economy to solve the price hikes caused by the pandemic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yep, 2 went to the hospital and couple of hours later one came back

He had what they call 'widow maker' condition of the heart.

Thank you,

@SharkE 

Very sorry to read this. The Left Anterior Descending Artery(LAD) is the one that kills many if it is 100% blocked. There are many that survive it, but more that do not.

My sincere condolences to you and your families. 🙏

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@vsm wrote:

Actually, the increase is not intended to provide MORE buying power. It is intended to keep pace with current prices. With that said, spending will not increase, so no inflationary impact. The covid stimulus checks to everyone is an example of EXTRA money which has an inflationary impact.

Inflation is world wide and has been ratcheted up by the pandemic and supply chain disruptions. It will take all the countries who drive the global economy to solve the price hikes caused by the pandemic. 

There's a big piece of the puzzle missing here.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

The last raise for ss checks was the same amount that they raised the Part B payment that is required.  It was a wash.  Inflation is now 9%...so if there is another hit on Part B...you are losing money.  All will be revealed in the new year.

I didn't lose anything with the last COLA.  There was enough in my check to cover the raise in the monthly Part B taken out on top of the fact that I got a hefty increase in my check.  The fact is, that this relative to what you are receiving from SSA.  

I can't speak for this one coming up, but I was very pleased with the last COLA.  No "wash" for me.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@vsm wrote:

Thank yer.  These economic indicators have nothing to do with the population at large.  Only those who receive SSA benefits.  Prices don't rise and fall because of any raises we get.  Thank you @JamandBread 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life