Honored Contributor

SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

To me, every single time I see a sentence on these forums that begins with "Sorry, but" it is a given that the rest of the sentence and most of the commentary in that post will be negatively snarky and/or flat out rude, either to the OP or to some other poster, whether the are replying specifically to someone by quoting them or not.

I don't think people actually believe that putting the "sorry" in there indicates that they are "sorry", I think people use it as a "passing" way to be rude - hey I did use the word sorry, you can't possibly call that rude. How is saying "sorry" rude, etc.

Pretty sure the only times I have used "sorry but" is in a parody of someone else using it.

It's like starting out a post with okay, gonna be rude here, hahaha.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Re: SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

Sorry but it is often used as a figure of speech and not meant to be taken literally. *eye roll*

Honored Contributor

Aren't the dynamics interesting?  I think that anyone who feels they have to one-up someone, be nasty in their replies or have a contemptuous attitude on an obscure little chat board in order to feel superior (and you can actually "feel" this!)..... deserves to be ignored.   It's that simple and I give it the old college try ....  Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Elvita wrote:

Sorry but it is often used as a figure of speech and not meant to be taken literally. *eye roll*

Thanks for a great confirming example - way to go!

Honored Contributor

I use a post that starts with "sorry" to mean "I don't mean to hurt your feelings or disrespect you in any way".

I would say "Sorry", but I was never fond of any kind of nut added to brownies or fudge.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Aren't the dynamics interesting?  I think that anyone who feels they have to one-up someone, be nasty in their replies or have a contemptuous attitude on an obscure little chat board in order to feel superior (and you can actually "feel" this!)..... deserves to be ignored.   It's that simple and I give it the old college try ....  Woman Indifferent

You probably shouldn't have posted here either then.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

If I said it, it would just mean that I disagree but I don't want you to take it personally or think I'm trying to "start something".  Unless the person's following words are totally snarky and rude, I wouldn't assume that's why she she began with "sorry".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I use a post that starts with "sorry" to mean "I don't mean to hurt your feelings or disrespect you in any way".

I would say "Sorry", but I was never fond of any kind of nut added to brownies or fudge.

I understand the distinction;-)

But I'm speaking of "Sorry but (that's wrong, I feel the opposite, I don't think so, etc)" where the post is either in disagreement or is meant to diss a person or group of people. It does need to be viewed in context, and I get what you're saying.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde they should finish it like "sorry but, I'm not really."

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

If I said it, it would just mean that I disagree but I don't want you to take it personally or think I'm trying to "start something".  Unless the person's following words are totally snarky and rude, I wouldn't assume that's why she she began with "sorry".

But by far most often, the rest of it IS snarky.