Trusted Contributor

Re: SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

IMO it isn't meant to be rude or snarky.  For me it doesn't matter how one starts their comment.  There will always be someone who takes a comment wrong or who just thinks it is rude while, at the same time, others think it is a perfectly reasonable.  Rude and snarky are not the same for everyone. I've seen comments on here where someone was upset because the waitress was rude for using the phrase "what can I get you guys?".  Where I grew up, in Ohio, everyone used that phrase and it didn't matter whether the "guys" were girls or guys and there was nothing rude about it.  If you start out thinking the comment is rude because the person starts with "sorry" you might actually miss the point of the comment. 

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Moonchilde they should finish it like "sorry but, I'm not really."

Definitely putting an "I", "I think" or "I feel" mitigates possible snarkiness - at least it would make me give the benefit of the doubt.  "Sorrybut that's stupid/ridiculous" leaves no doubt.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It's interesting to me.

I have to say that when I usually see it here it's something like 'Sorry, but you're an idiot', or 'sorry but I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that'. 

In those kind of cases I try to cringe because - come on, you're not sorry.   It's a kind of a passive-aggressive 'I'm superior to you' kind of thing.

But after I cringe I just move on and forget it because it's not about me and I just can't take stuff like that personally.  I know that it's not really about me.  It's a need that person may have to feel superior to me.  Hey, if that makes you better - go on ahead and knock yourself out.  Smiley Happy

But, to the original point - yeah, it's not like a real 'sorry'.  It's something else entirely. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

to me, it's like more passive aggressive behavior if the conversation heads downhill.

It's "I'm sorry if you don't like this, but tough cookies, I have something to say & I'm not really sorry at all if you don't like it."

but if it's meant in a more heartfelt way, it's "sorry, I have to disagree w/you here, but I'd like you to hear me out w/out either of us getting offended". this one, to me, then gets to start a conversation, not an attack.

**edited because I thought a little more about this one. 

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

IMO it isn't meant to be rude or snarky.  For me it doesn't matter how one starts their comment.  There will always be someone who takes a comment wrong or who just thinks it is rude while, at the same time, others think it is a perfectly reasonable.  Rude and snarky are not the same for everyone. I've seen comments on here where someone was upset because the waitress was rude for using the phrase "what can I get you guys?".  Where I grew up, in Ohio, everyone used that phrase and it didn't matter whether the "guys" were girls or guys and there was nothing rude about it.  If you start out thinking the comment is rude because the person starts with "sorry" you might actually miss the point of the comment. 

Oh, I understand the point of the comment - to be snarky. Whatever else is said is secondary after that. Look at it this way - most likely if you took the "Sorry but" out, the comment would stand on its own, for better or worse. The "Sorry but" isn't necessary but is a choice. 

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

to me, it's like more passive aggressive behavior.

It's I'm sorry if you don't like this, but tough cookies, I have something to say & I'm not really sorry at all if you don't like it.

Exactly. Bingo!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Aren't the dynamics interesting?  I think that anyone who feels they have to one-up someone, be nasty in their replies or have a contemptuous attitude on an obscure little chat board in order to feel superior (and you can actually "feel" this!)..... deserves to be ignored.   It's that simple and I give it the old college try ....  Woman Indifferent

You probably shouldn't have posted here either then.  Smiley Happy

I agree.

Honored Contributor

Was any real good or kindness supposed to come from this thread?  Doubtful.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It's interesting to me.

I have to say that when I usually see it here it's something like 'Sorry, but you're an idiot', or 'sorry but I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that'. 

In those kind of cases I try to cringe because - come on, you're not sorry.   It's a kind of a passive-aggressive 'I'm superior to you' kind of thing.

But after I cringe I just move on and forget it because it's not about me and I just can't take stuff like that personally.  I know that it's not really about me.  It's a need that person may have to feel superior to me.  Hey, if that makes you better - go on ahead and knock yourself out.  Smiley Happy

But, to the original point - yeah, it's not like a real 'sorry'.  It's something else entirely. 

Yes, this. Sorry but you (singular or plural) are wrong, stupid, have no taste, whatever. It deliberately makes whatever comes after an insult. You can get these points across without the dead giveaway phrase. Not polite in any case, but less polite when the unnecessary phrase is added.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Aren't the dynamics interesting?  I think that anyone who feels they have to one-up someone, be nasty in their replies or have a contemptuous attitude on an obscure little chat board in order to feel superior (and you can actually "feel" this!)..... deserves to be ignored.   It's that simple and I give it the old college try ....  Woman Indifferent

You probably shouldn't have posted here either then.  Smiley Happy

OTOH, snark is also recognized in all its forms :-)