Honored Contributor

Re: SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

Moonchilde wrote:

Yes, this. Sorry but you (singular or plural) are wrong, stupid, have no taste, whatever. It deliberately makes whatever comes after an insult. You can get these points across without the dead giveaway phrase. Not polite in any case, but less polite when the unnecessary phrase is added.

Yes!  That (bolded by me) is it in a nutshell.

Super Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Was any real good or kindness supposed to come from this thread?  Doubtful.

Criticism seldom is.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Was any real good or kindness supposed to come from this thread?  Doubtful.

LOL. Is any good or kindness supposed to come from 90% of the threads on these forums? And your post to Q4U was both good and kind, hm?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Yes, this. Sorry but you (singular or plural) are wrong, stupid, have no taste, whatever. It deliberately makes whatever comes after an insult. You can get these points across without the dead giveaway phrase. Not polite in any case, but less polite when the unnecessary phrase is added.

Yes!  That (bolded by me) is it in a nutshell.

ITA

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde

I just used the word "sorry" in a response to someone I consider a cyber-friend. It was not meant to be "negative/snarky or rude". I would be surprised if she takes it that way. 

She said something to me about something I posted and I responded with the way I felt and who I am. We are different people and I see nothing wrong with using the word, "sorry", in what I see as a positive way.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Moonchilde they should finish it like "sorry but, I'm not really."

Definitely putting an "I", "I think" or "I feel" mitigates possible snarkiness - at least it would make me give the benefit of the doubt.  "Sorrybut that's stupid/ridiculous" leaves no doubt.

Sorry but I think most people who post here mean well and are a pretty good group of people. Very few want to start arguments.

Just kidding regarding the Sorry but but I think looking for snark where there was really none intended could become quite tedious. I try and think the best of people and assigning a neferious intention to simple sayings like Sorry but doesn't work for me.

Trusted Contributor

Was this thread started in response to something that happened, or just random thoughts?

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

There is a difference between expressing disagreement and "snark", if that is supposed to mean a conscious and premeditated insult.

Sometimes the "Sorry, but" is intended to offend, but I think sometimes it just means, "I don't agree."   

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Honored Contributor

Burnsite wrote:

There is a difference between expressing disagreement and "snark", if that is supposed to mean a conscious and premeditated insult.

Sometimes the "Sorry, but" is intended to offend, but I think sometimes it just means, "I don't agree."   

I agree about this.  There are some examples that seem quite obviously meant to snark at somebody or their opinion.  But I have seen some where they probably just mean 'I don't want to be rude, but I disagree'.   You can usually feel the difference based on the rest of the conversation or the style of a given person who tends to converse instead of attack.