Honored Contributor

Another blurb of misinformation? 

Suddenly it's assumed children will be permanently scarred for wearing masks during this phase, until the virus is under control?  Parents are suddenly unable to explain the situation .....  and why a mask is temporarily necessary?   Really?

There are a lot of "socially awkward" young adults who text rather than have converations snd speak in complete sentences.  Some can't even write in complete sentences.   (I learned this when training a few new employees ... and how they ever got a college degree is beyond me).

Social awkwardness happens for all sorts of reasons ... but, apparently, now the virus is what we should blame.  Good grief.

Your thoughts on this?  

Respected Contributor

Re: SOCIALLY AWKWARD CHILDREN?

What does wearing a mask have to do with being socially awkward? Two separate things aren't they?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I can think of one elderly individual who has trouble speaking "in complete sentences".  May not be limited to "young adults".

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my....permanent scarring to their psyches from wearing masks, eh?

Unless a child has emotional problems or mental illness, it seems silly to think wearing a mask will harm them.

Perhaps the parents are already socially awkward and are just passing that on to their children.  I can't see wearing a mask causing any damage to a stable child.

Honored Contributor

Children and young adults are socially awkward because their elders don't speak Siri.  

I hope I live long enough to see the UN conduct a meeting of the world in text message and emojis.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What does wearing a mask have to do with being socially awkward? Two separate things aren't they?

@Peaches McPhee 

Presumably, social distancing and not carrying on conversations wearing a mask are going to permanently affect social skills.  Go figure.

Trusted Contributor

Kids today have short attention span, so I doubt that wearing a mask will make them socially awkward later on.  However, the preferred current method of communication among the younger crowd, is what will make some of them socially awkward in real life situations, bc they can't type their way out of it.  They actually will have to look someone in the eye and talk, explain, debate or whatever the situation warrants.  

Esteemed Contributor

People weren't carrying on conversations before the pandemic, so what has changed?  Many were constantly looking at their phones, not talking to each other; this has been going on for several years. 

It's crazy to say that masks are affecting social skills.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Well, I don't know what to blame my social awkwardness on.  I grew up before Siri, text messaging, emojis, etc. I do speak in complete sentences, but I'm just awkward when it comes to groups of people or the social graces that many find 2nd nature.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Another blurb of misinformation? 

Suddenly it's assumed children will be permanently scarred for wearing masks during this phase, until the virus is under control?  Parents are suddenly unable to explain the situation .....  and why a mask is temporarily necessary?   Really?

There are a lot of "socially awkward" young adults who text rather than have converations snd speak in complete sentences.  Some can't even write in complete sentences.   (I learned this when training a few new employees ... and how they ever got a college degree is beyond me).

Social awkwardness happens for all sorts of reasons ... but, apparently, now the virus is what we should blame.  Good grief.

Your thoughts on this?  

@Tinkrbl44   Could you provide a source for this?

Are we speaking about socially awkward children or children in socially awkward situations because of masks and social distancing?

children up to adolescence also need full faces to recognize people.

Seeing only eyes and foreheads -we can still recognize people or understand why part of a person's face is not visible.

Yet children cannot.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh