Valued Contributor

Re: SHUTTERS ARE UP - PLEASE PRAY FOR US

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

Hello Everyone. Thank you for the prayers and good wishes. To those who don't understand staying in your home, I am NOT in an evacuation or flood zone. We have been told to stay in place. The roads are crazy, there is no gas, there are no flights, or rooms available. I tried getting a ticket on Tuesday, Wednesday and yesterday, but it was not to be. Did anyone see the airports - CRAZY. I know you mean well when you say to get out, but sometimes you can't. I also won't leave my pet alone or put him in a shelter. The shelters are overwhelmed with people dumping their animals.That is horrifying to me. So yes, sometimes you really do need to keep the faith and prepare the best way you know how. I am as prepared as I'm going to be. This monster keeps shifting so no one really knows. Imagine all the people thinking they're safe and it curves. It is what it is. We can't control the weather. If I could I'd have sunny 70 degree days everyday with 50 at night for good sleeping Heart

Stay safe everyone - I'll check back as often as I can.

@nycgrl  - understand Heart And I think Admonishments from keyboard couch sitters dictating orders is uncalled for, rude. Will be looking for your updates and others @SouthFlorida321 et al Heart

I am sincerely frieghtened for all the people in Florida. Truely. The scenes from Houston...I wouldn't wish that horror on anyone. Caring isn't being rude.

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

Hello Everyone. Thank you for the prayers and good wishes. To those who don't understand staying in your home, I am NOT in an evacuation or flood zone. We have been told to stay in place. The roads are crazy, there is no gas, there are no flights, or rooms available. I tried getting a ticket on Tuesday, Wednesday and yesterday, but it was not to be. Did anyone see the airports - CRAZY. I know you mean well when you say to get out, but sometimes you can't. I also won't leave my pet alone or put him in a shelter. The shelters are overwhelmed with people dumping their animals.That is horrifying to me. So yes, sometimes you really do need to keep the faith and prepare the best way you know how. I am as prepared as I'm going to be. This monster keeps shifting so no one really knows. Imagine all the people thinking they're safe and it curves. It is what it is. We can't control the weather. If I could I'd have sunny 70 degree days everyday with 50 at night for good sleeping Heart

Stay safe everyone - I'll check back as often as I can.

@nycgrl  - understand Heart And I think Admonishments from keyboard couch sitters dictating orders is uncalled for, rude. Will be looking for your updates and others @SouthFlorida321 et al Heart

Thank you for your well said comment @Chi-town girlHeart

Trusted Contributor

Thinking of you all in the path of this storm.

Most important ---my parayers are with you. I shall say a special prayer to St. Jude.

Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for all in the path or who will be affected by this storm

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Miss Shelly wrote:

We live in southwest FL and have been preparing.  Today we put up the plywood shutters over every window and door except the front.  We removed everything from yard and lanai to avoid them from becoming flying projectiles and causing damage. 

Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on items that require no cooking.  There was no bottled water, but, juice was B1G1 so got that instead.  Filled up containers with tap water to drink.  Will fill the washer to have water for cleaning and bathing.  Gassed up both vehicles.  Bought a small bag of kitty litter in case we need a make shift toilet.  

We are in flood zone B and could get flooding up to 10ft due to storm surge so we may ride Irma out at a friend''s who is in zone D with less flooding.  

While I'm relieved the models show Irma turning more to the east, I know things can change at last minute.  I also feel bad for those on the east coast who may bere the brunt of the storm.  

Stay safe everyone.  Hunker down and I'll see on the other side.

@Miss Shelly  The entire southern 1/3 of the state of FL is going to be getting between 12-16" of rain. That is the latest info on the weather channel.

Additionally, the west coast now is going to be getting a bigger storm surge than the east coast.

I hope your family's home is on stilts and can stay intact in the winds.

You may have enough food and water, but are you prepared to sleep floating? Are you prepared and have the stick-tuitiveness to deal with possibly being without power for weeks (IN THE HEAT WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING)? Not being able to flush a toilet after a couple of days? Being blocked from all roads due to trees/power lines down? 

I pray you and a few others that have chosen to stay will have 2nd thoughts before it's too late.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Miss Shelly wrote:

We live in southwest FL and have been preparing.  Today we put up the plywood shutters over every window and door except the front.  We removed everything from yard and lanai to avoid them from becoming flying projectiles and causing damage. 

Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on items that require no cooking.  There was no bottled water, but, juice was B1G1 so got that instead.  Filled up containers with tap water to drink.  Will fill the washer to have water for cleaning and bathing.  Gassed up both vehicles.  Bought a small bag of kitty litter in case we need a make shift toilet.  

We are in flood zone B and could get flooding up to 10ft due to storm surge so we may ride Irma out at a friend''s who is in zone D with less flooding.  

While I'm relieved the models show Irma turning more to the east, I know things can change at last minute.  I also feel bad for those on the east coast who may bere the brunt of the storm.  

Stay safe everyone.  Hunker down and I'll see on the other side.

@Miss Shelly  The entire southern 1/3 of the state of FL is going to be getting between 12-16" of rain. That is the latest info on the weather channel.

Additionally, the west coast now is going to be getting a bigger storm surge than the east coast.

I hope your family's home is on stilts and can stay intact in the winds.

You may have enough food and water, but are you prepared to sleep floating? Are you prepared and have the stick-tuitiveness to deal with possibly being without power for weeks (IN THE HEAT WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING)? Not being able to flush a toilet after a couple of days? Being blocked from all roads due to trees/power lines down? 

I pray you and a few others that have chosen to stay will have 2nd thoughts before it's too late.

AND adding to my post above...

look what happened to folks in Houston with that much rain in areas! They all didn't need 30+ inches of rain to have homes swallowed by water...AND Florida is a swamp...much worse issues IMHO...

Super Contributor

we are also shuttered up and are riding out the storm.  have enough water and food and snacks.  have done some cooking  today. food that we could eat cold.  irma is all over the place.  it looks like it is moving towards the west coast.  no matter where it lands. we are all going to be affected.  everyone in her path. please stay safe.

Honored Contributor

@monks wrote:

we are also shuttered up and are riding out the storm.  have enough water and food and snacks.  have done some cooking  today. food that we could eat cold.  irma is all over the place.  it looks like it is moving towards the west coast.  no matter where it lands. we are all going to be affected.  everyone in her path. please stay safe.

@monks  Roughly where in FL are you?

Super Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@monks wrote:

@monks  Roughly where in FL are you?

western palm beach
Super Contributor

update at 11.