Honored Contributor

Re: SHUTTERS ARE UP - PLEASE PRAY FOR US

@homedecor1 wrote:

@nycgrl

I know this scenario all too well about forecasters say where it will hit & it turns!  In Hurricane Charlie (I think that was the name) my cousins who live in Punta Gorda but knew they could stay because it was to hitTampa -we decided good time for FT Lauderdale trip.  

We watched her home be completely leveled including her entire street.  Imagine the shock of seeing your home in the devastation & Punta Gorda desemated.

prayers you'll be safe! 

@homedecor1 My sister was in Punta Gorta when Hurricane Charley hit...and my elderly parents were in Englewood.

Frequent Contributor

I've been in Florida for almost 30 years and we too are all boarded up. Cooked a week's worth of meals and we have propane for the grill and gas for the generattor. Now it looks like we won't be getting anything. It's shifted so far west that the east coast is looking okay. However, my brother and his family and several friends are on the west coast. Please keep praying for Florida and Texas!

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@In-x-s wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Miss Shelly wrote:

We live in southwest FL and have been preparing.  Today we put up the plywood shutters over every window and door except the front.  We removed everything from yard and lanai to avoid them from becoming flying projectiles and causing damage. 

Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on items that require no cooking.  There was no bottled water, but, juice was B1G1 so got that instead.  Filled up containers with tap water to drink.  Will fill the washer to have water for cleaning and bathing.  Gassed up both vehicles.  Bought a small bag of kitty litter in case we need a make shift toilet.  

We are in flood zone B and could get flooding up to 10ft due to storm surge so we may ride Irma out at a friend''s who is in zone D with less flooding.  

While I'm relieved the models show Irma turning more to the east, I know things can change at last minute.  I also feel bad for those on the east coast who may bere the brunt of the storm.  

Stay safe everyone.  Hunker down and I'll see on the other side.

@Miss Shelly  The entire southern 1/3 of the state of FL is going to be getting between 12-16" of rain. That is the latest info on the weather channel.

Additionally, the west coast now is going to be getting a bigger storm surge than the east coast.

I hope your family's home is on stilts and can stay intact in the winds.

You may have enough food and water, but are you prepared to sleep floating? Are you prepared and have the stick-tuitiveness to deal with possibly being without power for weeks (IN THE HEAT WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING)? Not being able to flush a toilet after a couple of days? Being blocked from all roads due to trees/power lines down? 

I pray you and a few others that have chosen to stay will have 2nd thoughts before it's too late.

Where do you expect the entire southern 1/3 of the state's population to go?  and how are they going to get there?

@In-x-s  Every single person has/had options (depending on location if it's too late now). If I had no choice but to live in FL, DH and I would have a plan in place.

The gov of FL said there is a ride to a safe shelter for everyone who asks and has no other option...like the homeless.

If I was homeless, I would be there in a heartbeat. If I was rich, lived in a wonderful home on the beach with no relatives to go to for support, or all the flights out have stopped, I'd be in a shelter.

After watching the horrors in Houston and the memories of Katrina, how can standing in 2-5 ft of water in ones own home be any better?

You'd be in your home but can't save the 'stuff' anyway...

I have gambled in Las Vegas for fun and occassionally will buy a lottery ticket or 2. However, I choose not to risk my life...I only have one. I can always get another home.

Shelters are still in those areas that will be heavily affected!  Yes I agree if you're living on the coast or barrier island, a moblie home or even a wooden frame home you need to get out of there!....but there isn't enough room in the many shelters for eveyone!  There are many millions of people who live in south Florida.  Many have left but not everyone can.

Some people simply can't drive or have relatives down there to help them.

Respected Contributor

Prayers being said for you nycgirl. Also saying prayers for my family members  spread out all over FL. Be safe!

Regular Contributor

@nycgrl- sending prayers your way - check in when you can.

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl & all - how are you? Do you still have power? Looks rough in some places, but glad to see Key West is not as bad as anticipated xoxo

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

Still lots to do, but I will survive this storm. I am in the path of IRMA and am scared out of my wits, but I will get through this. I believe in miracles and I saw angel wings in the sky and a butterfly visited today. Last year when it was Matthew I found a feather when I put up my shutters. I have many angels watching out for me, but your prayers for those of us who have to face this head on can really use your prayers.

Hope all got through it as well as I did.  Thanks to all that prayed for us.  Scariest thing I ever had to go through. 

Regular Contributor

Sorry it has taken me so long after the storm to check in.  We rode out the storm at our friend's in the next town.   Fortunately for us Irma made landfall about an hour south, then made a jog to the east as she approached us so we avoided a direct hi and storm surge.. 

Most of us lost power early in the storm.  Ours came back on within 5 days.  Some poor people still don't have power yet.   Our friends house sustained no damage  We lost shingles, rain gutters, 2 decorative plastic shutters, and the screening from our entryway.  Trees have been uprooted and debris is thrown around.  The street was flooded to mid calf level, but, subsided within a few days.  One neighbor had their screened lanai ripped off and their roof damaged.  They weren't shuttered and their sliding door to the lanai blew in and the kitchen got soaked.  (No one was there and repairs are now underway).

@Susan Louise ....Thanks for caring, but, it is easy to arm chair quarterback from a distance.  As Floridians we know the risks and make decisions that work for us.  Most of us stayed and made the safest plans we could.  There are a lot of occupations that require you stay, gas was almost non-existent, and highways were clogged.  Sheltering in place in a strong structure was what we had to do. 

You mentioned Englewood and this is where I live (East Englewood/Gulf Cove area).  I also have relatives in Tampa.  We are all grateful that we dodged another storm and feel for those who took the hit.    During Charley in 2004 our side of the county was also spared and served as the staging area for the National Guard and other aide.  People were brought to our schools from Punta Gorda and parts of Port Charlotte to shelter and receive services after their world was destroyed.  We all worked together to help each other.  It took about 10 years to totally rebuild the destroyed areas, but, it looks great now and building codes are even stronger.  

It will take a long time for Collier County to recover from Irma.  It is still a mess and some people still haven't been back to their homes.  Puerto Rico is now far worse off.  Their whole infrastructure is destroyed.  Thank goodness the miliary was finally deployed to help them survive.  Please keep all the survivors in your thoughts and prayers.  They will need it for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@Miss Shelly wrote:

Sorry it has taken me so long after the storm to check in.  We rode out the storm at our friend's in the next town.   Fortunately for us Irma made landfall about an hour south, then made a jog to the east as she approached us so we avoided a direct hi and storm surge.. 

Most of us lost power early in the storm.  Ours came back on within 5 days.  Some poor people still don't have power yet.   Our friends house sustained no damage  We lost shingles, rain gutters, 2 decorative plastic shutters, and the screening from our entryway.  Trees have been uprooted and debris is thrown around.  The street was flooded to mid calf level, but, subsided within a few days.  One neighbor had their screened lanai ripped off and their roof damaged.  They weren't shuttered and their sliding door to the lanai blew in and the kitchen got soaked.  (No one was there and repairs are now underway).

@Susan Louise ....Thanks for caring, but, it is easy to arm chair quarterback from a distance.  As Floridians we know the risks and make decisions that work for us.  Most of us stayed and made the safest plans we could.  There are a lot of occupations that require you stay, gas was almost non-existent, and highways were clogged.  Sheltering in place in a strong structure was what we had to do. 

You mentioned Englewood and this is where I live (East Englewood/Gulf Cove area).  I also have relatives in Tampa.  We are all grateful that we dodged another storm and feel for those who took the hit.    During Charley in 2004 our side of the county was also spared and served as the staging area for the National Guard and other aide.  People were brought to our schools from Punta Gorda and parts of Port Charlotte to shelter and receive services after their world was destroyed.  We all worked together to help each other.  It took about 10 years to totally rebuild the destroyed areas, but, it looks great now and building codes are even stronger.  

It will take a long time for Collier County to recover from Irma.  It is still a mess and some people still haven't been back to their homes.  Puerto Rico is now far worse off.  Their whole infrastructure is destroyed.  Thank goodness the miliary was finally deployed to help them survive.  Please keep all the survivors in your thoughts and prayers.  They will need it for a long time.

@Miss Shelly  You're welcome...always glad to help others Smiley Happy