Honored Contributor

I could write a book @Anonymous032819  Woman Very Happy

Many years ago, my father was among a group of people who were de-selected from his job at the same company I worked for.  The company decided to clean house and got rid of most of the department where my dad worked.

It was unexpected and a bit shocking however my Dad was near 65 and seemed to take it as well as could be expected.

I had started a job in IT around the same time and this guy Wally who worked in IT approached me and said he heard about my Dad and he named the other people impacted by the downsizing.  When I say this guy approached me, he walked up to my desk one morning and asked me what kind of severance package my father received.  I never asked my father what kind of severance package he received. Woman Very Happy

I'm a natural redhead and what folks say about the temper of a redhead is 100% true.

I remember that I was looking down at paperwork when Wally blurted this out and I counted to 10, looked up and said who are you?  He said my name is Wally and I work in IT.  I said does everyone in your family have the manners of a goat or are you the only one with that distinction?

He walked off and that was that Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

After a substantial weight loss, a colleague asked me if I'd had surgery! She is not a friend, and I only see her a few times a year. I lost the weight on WW (Weight Watchers), and told her this, though I sometimes wish I'd have just looked at her and walked away. #nosyandclassless #whatnottoask

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Honored Contributor
Sometimes the best response is “why would you ask me such a rude question?”. Then it’s their turn to say something...and I would have walked away by then. A co-worker told a guy we worked with “ sorry, but I don’t answer rude questions” when he asked her why she didn’t color her hair since she had so much gray hair...
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thinking about this, I prefer not answering a rude question with a question. I don't want someone to tell me why they asked or anything else regarding their inappropriate question. I'd rather make it clear that that potential conversation has ended. Period.

I feel the same way.  If someone asks a rude question, it needs to be shut down.  Immediately.  It's not up for discussion.  I have no problem saying, "I'm not going to answer that."  End of story.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Ah, money is such a taboo subject isn't it?  I think we can disclose information without putting a dollar amount on it. For instance "my parents were commited to leaving the bulk of their estate  to those charities near and dear to them". Or "I am fortunate. My parents left me enough to pay off my mortgage, buy that lake place I always wanted and put a bit in savings".

But if you really are annoyed you could always say "I'm not really comfortable talking about it" or "that's a subject I'd rather not discuss". 

We don't always have to strike back when we are offended. 

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think a dollar amount is actually the issue. If someone is rude enough to ask me a question like that, I'm not going to provide any details at all.  It's not their business, and it's presumptuous of them to think I would share information that's so personal.  The dollar amount has nothing to do with it.  It's still out of bounds for them to ask, and I would not be at all inclined to tell them anything.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
I was asked several times years ago "Why did you get a divorce?" and then later after dating someone "Why did you and so and so break up?" Even my mother asked me that, in front of other people!!! ...when she already knew the answer!! Nice!!

Christmas at my brother's home several years ago, my sister-in-law's granddaughter... about 10 years old, asked me during a conversation "Were you FAT then too??" with a smart-a** look on her face!! It was the first time l had been asked that (besides my mother!!) and l just ignored her and l finished my sentence. I was so hurt because l was always 100-115 lbs up until l was 45. My metabolism came to a screeching halt and l slowly started gaining weight. I'm even heavier now because of meds l take.... l ended up telling my brother who was swimming in the next room and he kind of brushed it off. This same little brat actually SPIT in my niece's face that same day! Brat !!!

I'm sure there were other rude questions and comments! Everyone was so use to me being thin...and then l wasn't ...!! Hmmm...
Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

Ah, money is such a taboo subject isn't it?  I think we can disclose information without putting a dollar amount on it. For instance "my parents were commited to leaving the bulk of their estate  to those charities near and dear to them". Or "I am fortunate. My parents left me enough to pay off my mortgage, buy that lake place I always wanted and put a bit in savings".

But if you really are annoyed you could always say "I'm not really comfortable talking about it" or "that's a subject I'd rather not discuss". 

We don't always have to strike back when we are offended. 

@magicmoodz   I totally agree!  A simple, "I'd rather not say" is enough.  I don't get why a "witty" snarky retort is supposed to be admired.  It's just as rude.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

That is such a gross question. If you think about all that is involved in having a child, it's outrageous people think they have a right to know this extremely personal information!

Before I got married, everyone would ask, "When are you getting married?" After getting married, it became, "When are you having a baby?" After the first, it was then "When are you going to have another?" It never freaking ends. People are ridiculous with their nosiness.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

Asking you about "your background" when you have just met someone is incredibly rude, I think, unless it is in an employment interview or a first or second date.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

To me background is a very open question, it can mean experience, where you grew up, age or even religious belief

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Asking you about "your background" when you have just met someone is incredibly rude, I think, unless it is in an employment interview or a first or second date.

What do you think?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.