Honored Contributor

Strange thing that happened at lunch today

Hubby and I had lunch at the Cafe in our local bookstore, we eat there very often.

We were enjoying our meal and all of a sudden, I see our waitress pulling our knives off the table, I was using mine to cut my burger.  She did not say a word just took the knives. Nothing like are you using your knife

I saw her a few minutes later and said you took my knife, I was using it.

I did not make an issue, but on the receipt I wrote, I do not have a clue why you needed to take our knives while we were eating, i really hope her manager sees the message.

This is trivial but it was so out of place where we were

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Re: Strange thing that happened at lunch today

Why didn't you just ask for another one?

Esteemed Contributor

That is odd, but you should have stopped her and said you were not through with it. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

These days she was probably protecting herself.

I saw on Inside Edition man came up to a 6 yr old girl while she was eating with her family in broad daylight and just snatched her away thank God he was stopped, but, can you imagine how that poor kid is now traumatized .

can't even feel safe minding your own business with your own family out for lunch without some loony picking you up out of your seat and trying to run with you !   Unbelievable.

Honored Contributor

@tessam 

I did, but why did she take it to being without asking us

@tessam wrote:

Why didn't you just ask for another one?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

The waitress was picking the knives up from all the tables, we eat at this place often and I have never seen such odd behavior

@SharkE wrote:

These days she was probably protecting herself.

I saw on Inside Edition man came up to a 6 yr old girl while she was eating with her family in broad daylight and just snatched her away thank God he was stopped, but, can you imagine how that poor kid is now traumatized .

can't even feel safe minding your own business with your own family out for lunch without some loony picking you up out of your seat and trying to run with you !   Unbelievable.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hubby and I had lunch at the Cafe in our local bookstore, we eat there very often.

We were enjoying our meal and all of a sudden, I see our waitress pulling our knives off the table, I was using mine to cut my burger.  She did not say a word just took the knives. Nothing like are you using your knife

I did not make an issue, but on the receipt I wrote, I do not have a clue why you needed to take our knives while we were eating, i really hope her manager sees the message.

@I am still oxox, so she took it from your hand?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  It was sitting next to my plate, between me and DH, plate

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox, so she took it from your hand?

Esteemed Contributor

Weird. What did she say after you told her that you're still using your knife ?

Maybe she was trying to give you a hint that she wanted you to finish up and leave.

Years ago, I was at a restaurant with friends and a waitress came over and started taking some dishes off our table. She grabbed my plate of fries that I was still eating -- I told her that I'm not finished and to leave it. She said, "I thought you were finished." I said, "What gave you that idea? I didn't say I was finished." She didn't say anything. Her loss -- I didn't leave her a tip.

Respected Contributor

Since it had been used and was sitting on the table, maybe she thought you were done with it and was just being proactive about clearing?  I lay the knife across the top of my plate when I'm not cutting with it.