Trusted Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Yes. I ask them "why do you ask?" I usually get a mumbling answer and most realize they have over stepped.

I would answer exactly as you did and the response was exactly as you describe, never to be bothered by the questioner again!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

The less we tell about ourselves; the fewer questions asked.  

This is good advice, I am going to try to do this.

Esteemed Contributor

None that I can recall but I'm sure over the years I ran into a rude, ignorant person who did.  You know, one of those untaught, unsophisticated, unschooled individuals.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

The less we tell about ourselves; the fewer questions asked.  

Yes, some people overshare

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I would have said, I will forgive you for asking if you forgive me for not answering. 

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

I am 73 and child free by choice.  I have never been asked that question.  

Respected Contributor

My mom passed 19  years ago.  My dad is still living.  A co worker at that time asked what did my mother leave us.  I answered $25.00.  That shut them up.. She didn’t know what to say.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was talking to a friend not long ago about how people where I live now don't ask someone basic "getting to know you" questions (not rude, none of your danged business questions), and as we both think this is kind of odd, and we both didn't grow up here, she asked her husband about it.

He told her that people from here generally feel that asking anyone questions about themselves is rude.  They seem to have no problem telling you all kinds of things about themselves, but they don't ask you anything.

I live in the upper South

Valued Contributor

Re: Rude Questions

[ Edited ]

Some people have no raising and it shows.

I probably would have responded, "What an incredibly rude question."

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

I am 73 and child free by choice.  I have never been asked that question.  

@Bridgegal 

Well, I guess that illustrates that we don't all have the same experiences.