Trusted Contributor

Re: Rude Post Office Employees

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it hard to get fired if you are a post office employee?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

I use the main PO as well as a branch office. All the employees are helpful and patient with the exception of one rude man at the branch office. Haven’t seen him for at least 6 months which is fine by me. He enjoys talking down to people with always a hefty dose of scarcasm thrown in.

My mail carrier is great. More than great; she is a kind person. She is dependable and looks out for the elderly and handicapped folks. She delivered mail to my mom as well as myself. She helped my mom more than once when she had fallen in the yard. To my dismay, I never heard about the falling till Mom finally decided she needed rehab help at 91 for a fractured bone and we diverted her mail. The carrier stopped to tell me how relieved she was! 

Trusted Contributor

I've never had a bad experience with the mail carriers. We have different ones depending on the day of the week and they are all kind.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

@SunValleyWhat a wonderful post.  We also have a very thoughtful and friendly mail delivery person, and never any problems at the local postal facility.  Nice to read that efficient postal service is not a thing of the past.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No rhyme or reason.  It's the individual.  Have to learn to brush it off.

Honored Contributor

I love our regular mail carrier - his replacements when he has a day off, not so much.

When I have to go into the post office, I use a small intake location because it's closer than the main office and they are not nice people in there.

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I work with customers and would never talk to them the way some employees at the Post Office do. I've encounted rude employees in several towns in various counties. In person, over the phone, you name it. ANDDD, I proceed with caution since I'm familiar with their attitude.

I just called asking a sensible question about a delivery exception and the lady wouldn't let me speak. I'm trying to understand why they act the way they do. I've worked indoors and outdoors in the New York cold with people who don't speak the language and I cannot wrap my head around it.

Can anyone offer any insight or explanation? 

Perhaps if you explain what the highlighted has to do with postal workers it would be easier to give insight or explanations. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Can't be the first time you encountered a rude or abrupt person...lol  

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it hard to get fired if you are a post office employee?

Are you hoping to get someone fired??

Esteemed Contributor

I know in my small town post office the employees are overworked because they are under staffed.  And they do take a lot of cr@p from people, as others have said.  I have witnessed a lot of it because I have to go to the post office 5 days a week for work.

I will say there is one clerk there who is slow as molasses.  He knows what he is doing and is nice enough, but the longer the line gets, the slower he moves and the longer he chit chats with the customers.  A lot of people complain about him, but he will never lose his job or be moved somewhere else.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead