Respected Contributor

Re: Rude Post Office Employees

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@SunValleyWhat a wonderful post.  We also have a very thoughtful and friendly mail delivery person, and never any problems at the local postal facility.  Nice to read that efficient postal service is not a thing of the past.

Thank you @deepwaterdotter. It’s important for me to be reminded of the good folks because the bad apples make it easy to lose perspective. And yes, the P.O. service in our area is well managed.

Honored Contributor

Rudeness is all about perception.  And it goes both ways. 

If you smile at the "rude" worker and ask how the day is going or note how busy it is for them-you will most likely get him/her to lower defenses and ease up a bit.

In other words, present yourself as understanding instead of demanding.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Going "postal" remember that? Not always an easy job at the USPS.

Trusted Contributor

I think they do get a lot of flack from customers. I've heard people go off on them when they got up to the counter. Not to mention plenty of times hearing people loudly complaining of how slow the line is while waiting.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Rudeness is all about perception.  And it goes both ways. 

If you smile at the "rude" worker and ask how the day is going or note how busy it is for them-you will most likely get him/her to lower defenses and ease up a bit.

In other words, present yourself as understanding instead of demanding.

Nicely said. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@JBKO wrote:

I work with customers and would never talk to them the way some employees at the Post Office do. I've encounted rude employees in several towns in various counties. In person, over the phone, you name it. ANDDD, I proceed with caution since I'm familiar with their attitude.

I just called asking a sensible question about a delivery exception and the lady wouldn't let me speak. I'm trying to understand why they act the way they do. I've worked indoors and outdoors in the New York cold with people who don't speak the language and I cannot wrap my head around it.

Can anyone offer any insight or explanation? 

Perhaps if you explain what the highlighted has to do with postal workers it would be easier to give insight or explanations. 

I'm also having a hard time understanding what the complaint is, and I'm American born and speak pefect English.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just had a similar issue with USPS on Monday when I called to inquire about a missed pick up. I was disrespected by the woman that answered the phone. I wasted no time putting in a complaint online with USPS and with the postal inspector. I also informed the manager at the post office when I went in to drop off the packages they failed to pick up. I will not accept being disrespected by USPS period.

Someone called me yesterday from the post office to apologize and I received an email from opening a case online.

I'm an online seller and I depend on the post office. I pay for postage. It's not free. I demand to be treated with respect, for USPS to do their job well and provide the customer service I deserve. It may be a monopoly but it's completely unacceptable. I will not tolerate it and I will make sure management is aware of what is going on.

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

The point I was trying to make is that I maintain my patience and i  work with people who don't even speak the language for my job. The postal workers I have encountered are dealing with native speakers which makes things quite a bit easier and less stressful. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love our post office employees here in our small town and back in the city where we also have a home. They have been unfailingly polite and helpful. My mother, who lives in the city, has often said the same, noting that it's a refreshing change from the Houston post office and workers with whom she dealt for years. Down there, her mail was often late, missing, misdirected, and magazines were dog-eared and sometimes pages torn out before she received them, so they apparently were well read before being delivered (late). 

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I just had a similar issue with USPS on Monday when I called to inquire about a missed pick up. I was disrespected by the woman that answered the phone. I wasted no time putting in a complaint online with USPS and with the postal inspector. I also informed the manager at the post office when I went in to drop off the packages they failed to pick up. I will not accept being disrespected by USPS period.

Someone called me yesterday from the post office to apologize and I received an email from opening a case online.

I'm an online seller and I depend on the post office. I pay for postage. It's not free. I demand to be treated with respect, for USPS to do their job well and provide the customer service I deserve. It may be a monopoly but it's completely unacceptable. I will not tolerate it and I will make sure management is aware of what is going on.

@NycVixen  Wow.  I would suspect that the woman at the other end of the line "demands" respect, too.  She didn't lose your package.

You know sometimes stuff  happens. 

Were you pleasant?  Your annoyance at a lost package could very well have carried over to her.  Your words "demand" "completely unacceptable" "won't tolerate it" indicates a bit of impatience that most likely carried in your tone.

Remember-people deal with all kinds of behavior from customers, too.

Of course they apologized.  And guarantee you were then out of any other thought on their part.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh