Trusted Contributor

I work with customers and would never talk to them the way some employees at the Post Office do. I've encounted rude employees in several towns in various counties. In person, over the phone, you name it. ANDDD, I proceed with caution since I'm familiar with their attitude.

I just called asking a sensible question about a delivery exception and the lady wouldn't let me speak. I'm trying to understand why they act the way they do. I've worked indoors and outdoors in the New York cold with people who don't speak the language and I cannot wrap my head around it.

Can anyone offer any insight or explanation? 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Post Office Employees

No. There are rude nasty people all over. 

Respected Contributor

@JBKO  First off, they have no competition, so no real need to be nice.  I also believe they take a lot of cr-p from people in that job.  The PO employees in my city aren't that bad, and I try to be nice to them.  It may be worse where you live.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I guess I'm lucky, our post office employees are always helpful and courteous. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I'm not clear on your issue. 

Is it rudeness or people who don't speak English well?

Honored Contributor

We have many post offices around us and I haven't encountered any rudeness. I find that people tend to respond to the way that they are treated in kind.

When our mail hadn't been delivered in 5 days last winter, I called the Post Office. Turned out the delivery staff were all out sick with the flu. It explained a lot.. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt.  For all I know they may have had a rough morning or their child is sick.

Respected Contributor

@JBKO. I think they dislike their jobs or are just unhappy people that have no regard for anyone else. So, they say and do as they please and there is no one to keep them in check. I can say, that people are sometimes not nice to them but that doesn't give them a reason to be nasty to everyone.  I have always had the same experience as you. I dread using their services.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I work with customers and would never talk to them the way some employees at the Post Office do. I've encounted rude employees in several towns in various counties. In person, over the phone, you name it. ANDDD, I proceed with caution since I'm familiar with their attitude.

I just called asking a sensible question about a delivery exception and the lady wouldn't let me speak. I'm trying to understand why they act the way they do. I've worked indoors and outdoors in the New York cold with people who don't speak the language and I cannot wrap my head around it.

Can anyone offer any insight or explanation? 

@JBKO   how did she not let you speak?   Please explain?

Trusted Contributor

I've had to speak with people who are foreigners and don't speak the language well, but I try to maintain my patience.

I actually had the same issue with a delivery exception back in the fall and a gentleman I spoke to was very nice and helpful. My hope was that I would get simliar service this time around but the lady kept cutting me off when I tried to explain the situation that I had to stop and ask her if I could please start from the top.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Valued Contributor

Was in the post office on Tuesday. There was a woman at the customer service desk asking the clerk ... how can I change my zipcode.  She technically lives in one town but her mailing address different. I too am in that situation. I live in one town, pay school taxes to another and property taxes to a different one and have a zip code that represents another.  So she didn't like the fact that her mailing address didn't reflect the 'town' she wanted or actually lived. She stood there for 5 minutes arguing with the man.  She finally said ... how can I get my zip code changed, he very calmly said .... you'll have to move.  There were 3 of us in line and we all had a hard time keeping the laughter bottled up.  

The postal worker was actually very polite to her but she was unable to 'get it'.  

Helen852