Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Customer Service Reps

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just got off the phone with a woman from CS from a company. I was calling about a complaint I had with part of my order. I do consider myself a nice person and I try to keep my cool. She was telling me why are you talking so loud, you need to calm down. I don't think I was, but I am such an idiot I apologized and when I hung up I said have a good day! She must deal with people far worse than I, some people shouldn't be in customer service if they can't deal with customers. I am not the type that likes to get anyone in trouble, but I am offended by how she treated me ( maybe I'm too sensitive).

@Jordan2 

You were obviously upset and it showed. It sounds like your voice probably escalated even though you didn’t mean for it to. 

Never call CS anywhere when you are upset. You need to be calm and able to explain the problem without attacking the CS rep - or making them feel like they are being attacked. The CS reps are not the ones who caused whatever problems you have. Try treating them politely and with understanding. More often than not, they will go out of their way to help you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I encounter a rude CS rep and I am unable to get to someone who is civil and helpful, I discontinue doing business with them. I choose to give my money to places that have CS reps who can communicate and at least feign interest in my call.

i have never had a bad experience when calling QVC. They have always been friendly and helpful. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just got off the phone with a woman from CS from a company. I was calling about a complaint I had with part of my order. I do consider myself a nice person and I try to keep my cool. She was telling me why are you talking so loud, you need to calm down. I don't think I was, but I am such an idiot I apologized and when I hung up I said have a good day! She must deal with people far worse than I, some people shouldn't be in customer service if they can't deal with customers. I am not the type that likes to get anyone in trouble, but I am offended by how she treated me ( maybe I'm too sensitive).

@Jordan2 

You were obviously upset and it showed. It sounds like your voice probably escalated even though you didn’t mean for it to. 

Never call CS anywhere when you are upset. You need to be calm and able to explain the problem without attacking the CS rep - or making them feel like they are being attacked. The CS reps are not the ones who caused whatever problems you have. Try treating them politely and with understanding. More often than not, they will go out of their way to help you.

@willdob3  - ITA - what I've bolded above. Regarding 'intent', we can only guess. Being inconsiderate is a choice, especially in a phone call.

When I've encountered a CS rep that was unable to assist me, I will as for a supervisor or I end the call and call back another time to reach another rep - typically a good outcome.

Can you imagine how some of these posters treat CS reps given their rude, disrespectful and inconsiderate behaviors on these forums? Like posting snark, host and vendor bashing  on someone's thread intended to be a product discussion thread, drawing in others to do the same, even hearting those posts that derail the thread. 

In this OP case, it seems like the CS rep was trying to assist an agitated customer that was talking in a hostile tone. CS reps aren't punching bags and certainly don't need to take verbal abuse as a job 'requirement' 

Also, the thread title states CS 'Reps' as in plural, so there has been more than one instance of this type of exchange?  What's the common denominator...

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 ...I'm sorry you had to deal with a person who, as you said, should not be in customer service.  Sometimes we have to report things like that, it doesn't mean we are mean, it just means we want to be treated with respect.  If employees don't treat the customers with respect, the head person needs to made aware of it. There is good chance the owner will appreciate knowing how their employees are treating their customers. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

Our customer service/billing phone line records every phone call that comes in. 

I can't tell you what a helpful tool that has been! It helps detect employees that truly should not be involved in assisting customers; and it also helps identify those callers who behaved outrageously to the phone representative.

It's a great training tool for some phone reps that just need certain behaviors tweaked--and it also helps the organization identify trends in customer/patient concerns.

When I receive a complaint that one of our representatives was rude or not helpful, the first thing I do is pull the call and listen to it in its entirety. I often end up having to play the recorded call back for all parties involved. It's amazing how situations suddenly change when they hear the recording. It's hard to argue with that. 

Most companies have that feature now, so if you receive horrible/rude service do not hesitate to ask for that area's supervisor, and ask that the call be reviewed. If that doesn't work, ask for the manager and request the same thing.

Just make sure you are completely honest with yourself about your behavior during your call before requesting the recording be reviewed. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Super Contributor

QVC layoffs.  You get what you get.  Quality is not the main focus now.

Honored Contributor

I am the OP, the only reason I said reps is as a generalization I don't have a problem with CS reps. I felt she was condescending to me and had an attitude. I often am happy to know the conversation is being monitored, it helps the rep and customer for a third party to know what went on.

Honored Contributor

I guess you could consider a customer service rep also an advice nurse?  A couple weeks ago "one" called me from my Kaiser ortho (another story for another day) and talk about snotty and above everyone- I told her I'd been in the medical profession for over 30years and never talked "stiff or unfriendly " to my patients, and that I didn't appreciate her attitude with me.  Thank you and hung up.   

I don't know what has happened to people helping the public, gosh if you're having a bad day please don't take it out on your client/patient..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@brandiwine The OP stated she talked to a rep "from a company". Did NOT say it was QVC.

1. @Love my grandkids it was not QVC.

Point taken.  I should have read closer.  

Trusted Contributor

Fortunately, I have been very lucky, in dealing with CS reps. I don't recall ever having a truly bad experience, though, of course, some reps, do a better, more  efficient job, than others.  

I worked in retail sales, while in college, so I learned first hand, how difficult dealing with the public, in that industry can be! 

I also learned, long ago, never call, when you're the angriest.  Calm down, get your information, and your thoughts organized.  Call, when you can be calm and rational, and set the tone for the call, pleasant, and business like.  The results tend to be so much better.