Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Customer Service Reps

I ran across this for the first time last week.  I got a CS rep with my CC company who had a very strong accent.  I had to ask her to repeat words several times.  Finally she asked me for something I couldn't understand.  I said, "I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying".  She started spelling the word while screaming.  I hung up on her.

Why, oh why do companies hire people for phone work who can't be understood?  I think CS reps are strung out like everybody else right now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Just a thought, could a hearing test be a good idea?  I saw this with my dad.

I have supersonic hearing. I can hear someone in the kitchen opening up a bag of potato chips from way back in the bedroom with the door closed! I can also hear and be by the door before the UPS guy stops his truck and gets out!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I ran across this for the first time last week.  I got a CS rep with my CC company who had a very strong accent.  I had to ask her to repeat words several times.  Finally she asked me for something I couldn't understand.  I said, "I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying".  She started spelling the word while screaming.  I hung up on her.

Why, oh why do companies hire people for phone work who can't be understood?  I think CS reps are strung out like everybody else right now.

------------

That has happened to me several times while calling some of the big, well known companies !!  I always try but some times, their accent is just too strong and it is difficult to understand what the CS rep is saying.  I always 'apologize', but ask to speak to another rep or a supervisor!!

Contributor

I speak very loudly.i have my entire life and I'm 76. My entire family had /has hearing problems. I too have have hearing problems. I'm completely deaf in one ear .If you speak with an accent or very soft voice or are talking on a speakerphone( they distort the voice ). I usually tell the person I'm speaking to ,to please speak very clearly and slowly . I always thank them for trying to help me.also some speak on cell/iPhones with a lot of background noise. Most times they have been very kind and understanding. There is very little that can come from being unkind.at some point in your life you too might have the unfortunate occasion to have a hearing difficulty and would appreciate kindness.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just hung up from talking to 3 comcast agents.  I think all 3 were in India.  I could only catch part of the conversation about security issues.  

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 I think it was thoughtful and not idiotic to be nice to the person and wish them a good day.
BTW my husband adores The Beatles!
Stay safe!
Honored Contributor

I tend to talk louder on the phone naturally it beats mumbling 

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

IMO, there is no excuse for a rude CS rep other than threatening the CS rep with harm.  Then, that customer should be reported to authorities.

Quite a few former CS reps comment on different websites how they disliked being yelled at; however, I wonder why so many customers are angry. 

A few of them warned CS reps need to treat older customers differently as if they are all senile.  How do they know how old someone is?

A good CS Department should be taught not to take customer anger personally, how to deescalate it, and what not to say that will escalate it.

I think so much of the customer anger stems from retailers' failure to provide product quality and services customers expected.

@Foxxee While there is no excuse for a rude agent, IMO there is no excuse for a customer to be rude and take their anger out on someone who didn't cause their issue and just want to help them. Be angry/mad/disgusted with the company but yelling at a rep will not get you better service. If you want a fast resolution write to the office of the president/CEO of whatever company your unhappy with

Respected Contributor

I will say that Walmart online has the nicest CS reps all the time. 

I need to call Schwans b/c they have been cancelling deliveries for the past year now and the items I want to buy are always out of stock. It is so frustrating, I love the food but you can't get it! They hire 3rd party reps that don't actually work for Schwans and they are nice but nothing happens and they always say someone will call you back but they never do.

I wish I could get to management but you never can. Any ideas? I think they should mail the food to me since they have a big problem with hiring drivers. They pay good too. I am surprised they are still in business!

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

IMO, there is no excuse for a rude CS rep other than threatening the CS rep with harm.  Then, that customer should be reported to authorities.

Quite a few former CS reps comment on different websites how they disliked being yelled at; however, I wonder why so many customers are angry. 

A few of them warned CS reps need to treat older customers differently as if they are all senile.  How do they know how old someone is?

A good CS Department should be taught not to take customer anger personally, how to deescalate it, and what not to say that will escalate it.

I think so much of the customer anger stems from retailers' failure to provide product quality and services customers expected.

@Foxxee While there is no excuse for a rude agent, IMO there is no excuse for a customer to be rude and take their anger out on someone who didn't cause their issue and just want to help them. Be angry/mad/disgusted with the company but yelling at a rep will not get you better service. If you want a fast resolution write to the office of the president/CEO of whatever company your unhappy with

@mspatmac 

That's true, but how are you going to stop customers from being angry?  How can all of them be taught to be more considerate?  We can't.  Saying they should doesn't make it happen.  We can't control customers' behavior.  

The ball is in the CS reps court.  How the call proceeds is up to that CS rep; therefore, they never should be rude to a customer.  They are just escalating the anger and could very likely cause the retailer to lose a customer...possibly a good one who spends a lot of money.

The customer is angry with the company and the CS rep represents the company.  As I said, they should be taught not to take angry customers personally.  If they can't handle it, then this job isn't for them.