Honored Contributor

Re: Robocalls With Spoofed Caller ID: Help is on the Way

I get these spoofed calls everyday.  Some of the calls are from phone numbers of people that I know, but not well enough that they would be calling me.

i keep my voice mail system on and then go back later in the day to block the number if no message left.

I am eligible for Medicare next summer.  My phone is ringing off of the hook with companies trying to sell me Advantage Plans and Supplements.  My snail mail box is also full of information.  Who would purchase insurance more than 6 months ahead of time?

Trusted Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Verizon has spam alerts.  At least on my "landline" phone.  Not sure about cell phones as I do not own one.  You can also see the "spam alert" message on your tv if it's on.

@Mz iMac  I have Verizon and the cell phone has the same feature (spam alert) and it is very helpful!

I have Comcast, and I’ve noticed the Spam Alert also.  I thought it was a new scam, lol. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady: I haven't noticed any special timing of robocalls. Some days l won't get any; some days they will be all from strange area codes; and other days l'll get 6 calls, all spoofed with my local area code and 3-digit exchange. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Woman Frustrated

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2  Even though I figured out what triggers the robocalls, they don't come from my area code! Apparently the companies are "selling" the users phone numbers to the robocallers. Think we need additional Legislation about this nonsense. I had to pick up these calls to make sure it was really what I suspected. It was.

Days that I don't call Time & Temperature or pay my VISA card, no robocalls! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I just got a call with my area code and the same first three digits of my phone number.  It didn't have a name.  That's the first time I've seen that.  I let it go to my machine and then tried to block it.  Apparently there has to be a name for my phone to block the number.  That was frustrating.  I do have nomorobo but can't tell that it's ever helped at all.

I get them on my cell phone, too.  I have the Hiya app for my cell phone, and that helps a lot.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

in the meantime

answering machine

nomorerobo

call blockers

One of the robocalls I frequently get uses doctors' numbers in our area.  You never know whether it is a legit call from your doctors' office or an "illegitimate" one.

Esteemed Contributor

Its about time.  My numbers coming in are in multiple digits as the caller ID.  I know not to pick those up but they are still ringing 5 or 6 daily.Other numbers coming in are local numbers as stated.  I am thinking I need to pick it up, it might be a friend or a local message that I requested.  No such luck.  If I do answer and they ask for me or my husband by name I say, " Who wants to know?"  A friend of mine once answered YES and I don't have enough space or time to tell you all the fun he had for the next 6 months.  

I was told that I could pick up the phone and not answer at all and just wait them out until they hang up andthey would have to pay for the call.  I really don't believe that one.  

Honored Contributor

I had a call a while ago on my land line that my CID said Private Caller.....and no number with it.  No, I didn't answer.  They are getting smarter now.  The phone rings 3 times and they hang up.  I have a cell phone, but do not have it so I can get messages.  Just for me to use in case of an emergency when I'm out on the road.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I let my answering machine screen my calls on my landline---family/friends keep talking and know if Im home ill pick it up.....

What annoys me on my cell phone is I have a call blocker, I dont answer, block the number, and yet they get past the call blocker and call back later...maybe because its a spoofed number they call from!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness they don't make these darn calls late at night.  Usually don't get any after 8:00 pm.......