Honored Contributor

Robocalls With Spoofed Caller ID: Help is on the Way

This article in USA Today, while long, is worth taking the time to read. It explains that a new technology will be available to the phone companies in the near future. It won't be able to eliminate robocalls with spoofed numbers, but it WILL be able to identify them, with a special symbol showing on the caller ID. So we'll know whether a number is legitimate or not. It's a step in the right direction.

The article is too long to copy and paste, so here's the link:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/15/robocalls-verification-system-ftc-fcc-telecommunicati...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Robocalls With Spoofed Caller ID: Help is on the Way

in the meantime

answering machine

nomorerobo

call blockers

Honored Contributor

I make it a point not to answer any call when I don't recognize the number, or calls from myself.  Also, if it's somebody who normally wouldn't call me, I let it go to voice mail.  All my friends know I might be standing there listening so if they really want to talk to me, leave a message.  I got a call the other night from a former choir director who never even called me when he was my choir director.  I let it go to voice mail.  I am friends with him on Facebook, so if he really wanted to get in touch with me, he could do it there too.

Regular Contributor

Even with NoMoRobo, I still get calls from my local exchange and "wireless callers."

I vote for anything that will help. I did read that scammers are moving now to cell phones, and the call volumes are expected to dramatically increase.

save us!

Honored Contributor

Verizon has spam alerts.  At least on my "landline" phone.  Not sure about cell phones as I do not own one.  You can also see the "spam alert" message on your tv if it's on.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Nomorobo only works if it is suppported by your phone company - ours does not as yet. With spoofed numbers I pick up the phone and wait to see who's calling - I do not answer but just block the call as soon as I know it's a solicitation. Still annoying because I have to take the time to block the call.

Honored Contributor

T Mobile has scam alerts too.  I never answer the phone and then promptly block the number.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2  This is interesting data I've discovered within the past 6-8 months:
1. When I call Time and Temperature, I receive a Robocall the following day.

2. If I call my VISA to make a payment, I receive a Robocall the following day. If I make the payment on-line, no phone call. They are trying to do away with their Customer Sales Representatives in an money-saving attempt! I believe in great personal Customer Service so I'm determined to call VISA rather than utilize their on-line resources. I'll try to keep their CSR employees employed. LOL

Has anyone else noticed such annoying Robocalls after doing personal business?

ETA: These calls are on my landline, which I've provided to VISA and other businesses. It is also the phone I use when calling Time & Temperature early in the morning! 

Never receive Robocalls on my cell; a couple of wrong numbers only in all the years I've had it. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Has anyone else noticed such annoying Robocalls after doing personal business?

Nope!  I rarely get them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Verizon has spam alerts.  At least on my "landline" phone.  Not sure about cell phones as I do not own one.  You can also see the "spam alert" message on your tv if it's on.

@Mz iMac  I have Verizon and the cell phone has the same feature (spam alert) and it is very helpful!