Honored Contributor

This flu is wicked

[ Edited ]

P. Diddy's Ex  has died from complications of flu. She was only in her 40's..It is such a pity..It hasn't been confirmed, I hope she didn't suffer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6395345/Diddys-ex-girlfriend-Kim-Porter-dead.html

Honored Contributor

@cherry@That flu can be deadly any year.I hope she didn’t suffer too much or die alone.Terrible thought but I wonder if she had a flu shot.

Honored Contributor

Re: This flu is wicked

[ Edited ]

Most people don't even know what the flu is, they think it's a very bad cold and since people they know who had the flu (or think they did) get over it, they don't  understand the dangers.  People can and do die from flu complications, that's why it's so important to get your flu shots.  It can happen to strong, healthy, young people like I was when I was in college.  I came down with a "cold" that got worse and I woke up one night unable to catch my breath.  My parents rushed me to the hospital where I remained for 2 weeks.  I had pneumonia in both lungs and my "cold" was actually influenza.  I was on oxygen, briefly they considered a ventilator but I did improve but it took a few months for me to really recover.  It still scares me because if I'd been alone that night, if my parents had been out of it I'd been in a dorm room...I probably would have died.  I work in healthcare so I understand the risks of the flu and of course I get my flu shot every single year.

Honored Contributor

@dex  I wondered that too. Every item I have read say, unofficially ,it is flu that killed her

I think people just don't think it will happen to them. I feel so sorry for her family, she should have seen them grow , marry, and have children. They have missed so much..God rest her soul

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Most people don't even know what the flu is, they think it's a very bad cold and since people they know who had the flu (or think they did) get over it, they understand the dangers.  People can and do die from flu complications, that's why it's so important to get your flu shots.  It can happen to strong, healthy, young people like I was when I was in college.  I came down with a "cold" that got worse and I woke up one night unable to catch my breath.  My parents rushed me to the hospital where I remained for 2 weeks.  I had pneumonia in both lungs and my "cold" was actually influenza.  I was on oxygen, briefly they considered a ventilator but I did improve but it took a few months for me to really recover.  It still scares me because if I'd been alone that night, if my parents had been out of it I'd been a dorm room...I probably would have died.  I work in healthcare so I understand the risks of the flu and of course I get my flu shot every single year.

Or they think it's a gastro-intestinal malady, not a respiratory one. How many times have we all heard someone say that they have the "flu" when it's actually nothing to do with influenza and most likely some form of the noro virus? 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I heard about this yesterday.  It is so sad; she was just 47 years old; a model and actress.  She and Diddy were together for 13 years, before they split about 10 years ago.  They still did everything together as a family; they never drew up a legal custody agreement for their 3 kids together because they just made it all work out for the kids. 

Honored Contributor

Re: This flu is wicked

[ Edited ]

People also think shots don't work, because you catch the flu anyway. They stop you from dying ,if you do succumb to the illneess, many times

I have been so ill with flu ,even when I did get a shot, I shudder to think of what would have happened to me, had I not had the shot?

Two years ago ,it took me a month ,to get back on my feet  after the flu, and I got a  flu shot..If I handn't I might not be here now

Respected Contributor

I wish her family the best in coping with her untimely death.  While a person can die from influenza, and from pneumonia, they can also die from the antibiotics they take to combat their pneumonia, due to heart arrythmias arising from this class of drug.  I just read that Kim Porter was sick for weeks, and then she went into cardiac arrest:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2015/11/09/common-antibiotics-cause-arrhythmias-death-and-eve...

Honored Contributor

Antibiotics can do nothing against the flu. Flu is a virus..you need to be treated with an antiviral, unless you get a secondary infection.  Antibiotics are for bacteria, I think

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Antibiotics can do nothing against the flu. Flu is a virus..you need to be treated with an antiviral, unless you get a secondary infection.  Antibiotics are for bacteria, I think

Yes, exactly @cherry. What can happen, however, is a viral infection can weaken the immune system so then a person can become ill from a bacterial infection that may have not occurred had the person not gotten a virus to begin with. It's called a 'secondary infection'. You see that with AIDS patients.