Ya - 2016 was just that.

Valued Contributor

Re: Riots After World Cup Losses

And we're goin' off the rails

on the crazy train

Respected Contributor

@Northraywrote:

Americans, innocent babies that we are, are just playing a game. But for the rest of the world "soccer" is a global game about getting strong enough to beat other COUNTRIES! Soccer is about excelling and representing your COUNTRY and thus beating other countries. So if you lose that means your country loses. I know, weird but true.

sounds like the olympics

Esteemed Contributor

The USTeam just lost but I think our team behaved with class and represented our Country with dignity. I thought a wonderful moment caught on camera was when one of our team tried to console a member of the Iranian team after their loss. An Iranian citizen was killed for openly supporting team USA & members of the Iranian team received threats against their families if they did not mouth the words to their anthem. To me, soccer is just a game but I do fear for the safety of the Iranian team upon return home. The games should not have geo political implications nor should players be used as pawns but they do and are. the games also underscore the human rights violations against citizens not fortunate enough to have the freedom we have in the US. I think we often take freedom for granted & we forget about those who fought to give us that right.

Honored Contributor

No wonder they nixed the beer.