Esteemed Contributor

Riots After World Cup Losses

I'm not much of a sports fan.  However, you can't help but here about the Superbowl or the World Series even if you don't watch.  I was in the doctor's office earlier this week and was watching a match of the FIFA world cup.  That match up had the USA a winner when it was all said and done.

In Belgium, they are out rioting because of a loss to Morocco.  Why?  It's a game yes?  This is mind boggling to me.  No one can win a game every single time.  It's not possible.

About a dozen people were detained by police in Brussels, who used water cannons and tear gas to disperse crowds according to the Associated Press.

Eight people were detained in Antwerp, and two police officials were injured in Rotterdam after soccer fans allegedly “pelted police with fireworks and glass.”

Among other things, cars on the streets were pelted with bricks, flipped and torched, and electric scooters were set on fire. Subway and tram traffic was briefly interrupted in multiple cities, too.

Several hundred fans smashed store windows, set fire to vehicles, and threw fireworks.

According to Brussels police, "dozens of people, including some wearing hoodies, sought confrontation with the police, jeopardizing public safety" before the game ended.

Tearing up, burning up and looting and rioting your own community over a GAME is ridiculous.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

Re: Riots After World Cup Losses

@gertrudecloset 

Never did understand it.   

Like you said, Ridiculous!

Respected Contributor

It also happens in college towns in the USA.  We live about 45 minutes away from a university with 40,000 students.  Often, after a WIN in football season, college kids run over the downtown area of the college town.  Millions of dollars in damage, as well as injuries, some serious enough to require a trip to the local hospital's emergency room are common.  Of course the police and EMTs are putting their lives on the line for these drunken punks.

Trusted Contributor

Team USA has played two games, both draws. They play Iran on Tuesday, and must win, or be eliminated. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset   I don't know otherwise, so I'll assume your details about post game rioting is accurate. 

However, your statement that the US has won a game is incorrect. The team from the USA has not won any games at the World Cup now being held. The first game they played against Wales and it was a draw. The second game they played against England and it was also a draw, no winner. The next game USA plays is against the Iran team. If USA loses that one they are eliminated.

We haven't won any game so far. Perhaps you saw the game still in progress against Wales. At one point we were ahead. But we didn't win. 

I think sometimes these crazy riots occur after a game is lost when a substantial lot of people, like those in Belgium,  get drunk and overstimulated and then can't accept the disappointment while still not sober. Often, fans think the match was mishandled by the referees and the reaction comes from belief the other side cheated or was favored by the officials.

I do agree this kind of destructive behavior is utterly senseless over a sports match. Rioting in Belgium over a match having taken place thousands of miles away in Qatar seems especially nutty. 

Respected Contributor

It's not about a game. A game, win or lose, is just used as an opportunity for people to gather and for bad people to behave badly.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   It certainly seems like it has much more to do than just a game.   I have no idea what life is like the last few years in Belgium but people seem have some serious issues.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

It's not about a game. A game, win or lose, is just used as an opportunity for people to gather and for bad people to behave badly.

This makes sense to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

**DELETED**

I initially misread the the post.  Riots were in Belgium & not Qatar.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@gertrudecloset   I don't know otherwise, so I'll assume your details about post game rioting is accurate. 

However, your statement that the US has won a game is incorrect. The team from the USA has not won any games at the World Cup now being held. The first game they played against Wales and it was a draw. The second game they played against England and it was also a draw, no winner. The next game USA plays is against the Iran team. If USA loses that one they are eliminated.

We haven't won any game so far. Perhaps you saw the game still in progress against Wales. At one point we were ahead. But we didn't win. 

I think sometimes these crazy riots occur after a game is lost when a substantial lot of people, like those in Belgium,  get drunk and overstimulated and then can't accept the disappointment while still not sober. Often, fans think the match was mishandled by the referees and the reaction comes from belief the other side cheated or was favored by the officials.

I do agree this kind of destructive behavior is utterly senseless over a sports match. Rioting in Belgium over a match having taken place thousands of miles away in Qatar seems especially nutty. 

@gizmogalhonestly, I might be mistaken about who won.  It was Tuesday, that just past around 2:30p.m.

I know they had the game on in my doctor's office and some of the staff were watching.  Team USA was wearing all red I think.  All I remember is that they cheered for something.  Maybe they made a goal or whatever, but they were cheesing and the announcer made a comment about Team USA.  I don't know what the World Cup is, honestly.  I don't know what FIFA is either.  I just know that it is taking place.

I believe you when you say that the USA has not won a thing.  I made an assumption which, for those who know the game better than me will be able to discern.  Sorry for any confusion.

The story that I found about the rioting is all over the internet.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life