Honored Contributor

Re: Riots After World Cup Losses

Soccer aka Football isn't as popular in the US as other countries. We don't understand the love and passion like others do. In my opinion true soccer fans worship the game.  In the past some stadiums have actual moats around the fields (to protect the players. (not sure about now) players have been kidnapped or  killed for missing or allowing goals as well. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  Is it emotionally healthy for a person to "worship" a game?  I'm a big fan of tennis, but I wouldn't become violent if my favorite player lost a match.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@JaneMarple  Is it emotionally healthy for a person to "worship" a game?  I'm a big fan of tennis, but I wouldn't become violent if my favorite player lost a match.

No it isn't @deepwaterdotter , I love Baseball but would never harm anyone if my team lost. I've lived in countries where soccer is king and it's very disturbing to me.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirlwrote:

Shameful behavior....all for a game? What is wrong with this world????? Talk about sore losers!!!!

This right here. More importantly because it's about a game.....

@bargainsgirl

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

There are people who use any excuse to cause mayhem.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21This week I heard that women in Iran are not allowed to attend men's soccer games. Do you know if this is true?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

@Etoile308wrote:

It's not about a game. A game, win or lose, is just used as an opportunity for people to gather and for bad people to behave badly.

This makes sense to me.

i wonder what they thought of America, a couple of summers ago?

Respected Contributor

Every time the World Cup is happening, there seems to be people killed in stampeding fans, rioting, or other crowd violence. We see it on the news and it has always baffled me.

Valued Contributor

Americans, innocent babies that we are, are just playing a game. But for the rest of the world "soccer" is a global game about getting strong enough to beat other COUNTRIES! Soccer is about excelling and representing your COUNTRY and thus beating other countries. So if you lose that means your country loses. I know, weird but true.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sore loser mentality

I saw the same thing here in the US after an election