Honored Contributor

Re: Retirees, do you lose track of the day/date?

[ Edited ]

I'm not retired but I do work remotely from my home office and sometimes, I do forget what day it is.  I'll wake up and think it's Wednesday and later in the morning, I'll realize it's Thursday.  Once, I woke up on Sunday morning and I thought it was Monday.  I got dressed for the day and went into my office and fired up the computer.  I worked for about an hour and I wondered why no one was emailing me.  Monday's are brutal for me, the emails never stop coming.  It was confusing.  And then hubby came in and asked me if I was working Sundays now.   It's what happens when a person doesn't have that "Monday-Friday" routine.  

Esteemed Contributor

One day I woke and realized I'd overslept.  I grabbed clothes and was running downstairs and their sat DH watching TV.  I yelled "Why didn't you get me up I'm going to be late!!"

He turned and looked at me like I stripped a gear and calmly said "Hon, it's Sunday".

Don't ask, it was one of those days.  Got my heart pumping though.

Honored Contributor

Orienting me to time and date is Alexa’s morning chore😊

I have a difficult time figuring out the day when there’s a holiday like July 4th.  When I can’t remember what year it is, I’ll be concerned.

Respected Contributor

Yes, DH and I have both done this. I think it's because our lives are less structured now. We don't have routine days for doing certain things. We do them when we feel like it (one of the good things about retirement!). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
  • Yes, and since there are no landmarks in my life, I can't remember if something happened 3 or 5 years ago.  Others with more eventful lives may not have this problem.  My life is dullsville.

i like my dullsville life.......

Respected Contributor

Occasionally I lose track of what day it is. That’s part of the fun of being retired. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

I spent 35 teaching years teaching...I retired but still have a lesson plan-type book on my kitchen table....date and day are never out of my grasp...but I do have to check it sometimes....when you are retired, everyday is Saturday...😉 I am so used to a bell ringing to stop one class and start another, it took awhile to stop waiting for that bell!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a large calendar on the wall of my walk-in closet in my bedroom - and another large calendar on my desk next to my computer. I have to know the day and date ---- every day. Especially when I have to put out my 2 large trashcans on Monday night and expect my gardener on Wednesday. I do have difficulty remembering which month it is. I live in southern Calif. - so the weather is similar all year long. It also surprises me when I'm watching something on tv - and they say it happened 10, 15 or 20 years ago - to me it was a few years ago. That's what happens when u get "old."

Honored Contributor

No, I do not, but this is becoming a big issue for my husband, and my mother.   Several times a week I catch my husband standing in front of our main calendar figuring out what day it is, and what appts we have scheduled.   

My mom is usually totally clueless as to what day of the week, and what day of the month it is.   Last year she lost track of her birthday and her anniversary.   She gets a daily newspaper, and I stress to her to work harder to stay alert to time, place, etc., since she has been diagnosed with dementia.  

I have also tried to get mom to move her calendar to a prominent place in the kitchen so it is easily seen and she passes it often.   She responds that she knows where her calendar is, and I remind her that because she’s 85 and has no agenda each day, she has forgotten to look at the calendar often enough to see when there’s a birthday, an appt, or even a holiday.   

Respected Contributor

No I don't but I do notice time goes by quickly...the hours in my day fly by & so does the week.