Esteemed Contributor

Need to find a cleaning person, need ideas.

I want to hire someone to bascially do the areas I can't do as well as I like.  floors, baseboards etc.  I dust, sweep and can wet swiffer but I can't get down on the old knees like I used to.

My problem is I have asked about people in town and no one does it.  I know there are Merry Maids and such but am not wild about someone I don't know coming in.

DD does a lot around the house but she has a back thing going on plus she's gone 11 hrs. a day between commute and work,  She also deserves a life besides helping me.

Did you get someone by word of mouth or from a company and a stranger showed up?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need to find a cleaning person, need ideas.

if you have the nextdoor app OR the nextdoor website you can easily ask for suggestions for cleaners in your area. you will be surprised how many people will recommend companies and individuals who do this type of work.

you do have to request to join.

i have found it to be an invaluable tool.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I found the absolute best cleaning people (mother/daughter) by asking a neighbor who she used.  Best way to go is ask people you know.  Found out they clean several homes in neighborhood.  Take your time and find someone honest and reliable.  

Esteemed Contributor

In this day and age it is dangerous to pay someone directly rather than going through a reputable company.  Not only do you want to make sure that taxes are collected and paid, but there is also the whole issue of liability.  What if something is broken, someone gets hurt something is missing.......  Talk to a couple companies and find one you like.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Reputable cleaning companies are all bonded and insured.  I would call one of them first.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Reputable cleaning companies are all bonded and insured.  I would call one of them first.  

@Mj12   Agree. 

Angie's List and Home Advisor are great places to start researching for top-rated companies and individual cleaners.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

You could post on the NextDoor site, if it's set-up in your neighborhood.  Ours had a posting the other day - from a man looking for someone to clean his apartment - bathroom and kitchen only, every couple weeks to a month.  I thought: I hope he does some cleaning himself in the interim!

Honored Contributor

The woman I use came from a friend/neighbor recommendation.  She's worked for at least 4 of us in the neighborhood for 5+ years.  I dread the day she might decide to retire.

If she did, I'd ask local friends and neighbors or, as already suggested, I'd use my local nextdoor.com where everyday I see recommendations of workers who do a variety of household jobs.  At least there, I can ask if anyone else in the area can verify that reference. 

Honored Contributor

I would ask for recommendations from friends and relatives, etc.

But just be aware, most people don't clean like you probably do/did.  When I still lived at home with my mom, we went through several cleaning ladies and after about the 4th one, just gave up because their cleaning was horrible.     

Valued Contributor

I found a woman who works for me from the local newspaper.  She had references and I called all of them very satisfied with her work  That has been anout 5 years and I love her.