Honored Contributor

Re: Retired ladies - so, how is it? Will I adjust OK?

I  am thrilled to be retired. So many things I could not do because I was working, finally I can do it now. We go on a trip about once a month.It just seems to work out that way. Our dog holds us back a bit on our trips but we try and work it out so it works out well for him.

We also have been able to see exhibits that are in town example - Terracotta Warriors, Woodblock Prints, flower show, numerous musical events. Also, my closest friends all are retired too. So we seem to have no problem getting together more frequently than when we were working. And we go to lunch, movies and shopping expeditions in a 100 mile radius.

We eat out more and try all different restaurants.

It is such a joy to be in control of my time and much of my plans. When I worked I left the house at 7AM and got home at 6:30PM. I really felt I didn't have much of a social life during the week. Now I am socializing every day not just on weekends.

Trusted Contributor

I retired 11 years ago at age 60. There is no such thing as a bad day in retirement. Both of my children and all my grandkids live out of state so I travel to see them several times per year. I volunteer for Meals on Wheels a couple of days per week and I have been taking a dance class for about 10 years and I recently started guitar  lessons at our local senior center. I also take a couple of day trips per year through AAA or another local travel agency. The best part of being retired is being free to do whatever you want whenever you want, or just do nothing at all without feeling guilty about it. Most of my friends are retired and not one of us has any regrets about it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems as though you are a person who is concentrating on your retirement and it does not seem as though it is going to get here as fast as you would like.

Retirement will be what you elect it to be.  If you plan on moving then concentrate on where and start looking at places to live.

You can not plan your day now because that day is not here.  It will take some time to adjust to, and it probably will feel strange at first not having that routine. Look at it this way, retirement is the puberty stage of being older, adjusting to life.

When I retired I missed the interactions with people, not so much my co workers.

I went to places on my own and met new people. I did not become a couch potato, not my thing.

The day will come when you retire, so relax there is just so much you can plan ahead.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

Speaking for myself of course!  We moved out of state, I would not recommend doing this.  Stay where your friends, familly, work friends, doctors, etc are.  It's very difficult to make new friends at such an advanced age.  We've been here 15 yrs and are still without real true friends.  Just my experience for what it's worth.

Thank you for your honesty.  What reason did you have for deciding to move out of state?   

To be honest, our friends that we LOVED and we close with either got divorced, passed away or are always busy with their GK.  ((I digress....My grandmas lived far away so I didn't have that closeness and it's foreign to me to see everyone doing things with their GK).  Other than my BFF and a few other friends they are busy babysitting and I frankly just want out of here.  I volunteered for 8 years at a local nursing home doing nails, I can do that again, or find other ways to meet people.  

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I quit work when my first daughter was born.  I worked for the first 7 years of being married (married at barely 19).  Saved and lived only on his salary so didn't miss the money when I quit to be a stay at home mom.

My two married daughters are also stay at home mom's.

Anyway, I guess you could say I retired early.  I know it's very different when one is busy raising a family versus retiring in your 60's.

You are (hopefully) in good health.  If I were you, I'd make sure to meet up with friends as often as you can (even if they're still working, do it for dinner).

Do not let yourself get absorbed in ..... well...yourself and/or your husband (if married).

I think it's healthy for you to make sure you have something just for you....just for you.

My daughter has 4 children (ages 7 thru 17).  She makes sure she does things that SHE enjoys.  She has several crafts she takes classes in.  She does Yoga and various other activities that takes her away from housework, etc.

She's about to turn 46 and her sister (1 week apart) 44.  So I understand she's still young compared to a 60 something  .... but you get the idea.

Please don't consider getting out with friends and girlfriends as frivolous and wasting time.  Please!

So many people think if every day isn't spent cleaning or doing something 'productive' it's a crime.

Well, it's productive for you to take care of your own mental health.  I think being happy with yourself is easier when you're around people who STILL value your ideas and friendship....females.

Just like if at work you had a group of females you'd talk to about it things, you still need that.

Also, my advice is to stay up on the news and (I believe) just as important things that are happening in your area.  You'd be surprised at how many people and organizations need help from people like you.

Don't think you don't have anything to offer.  I'm sure you do.

My mother used to say, "If you want to feel old...hang out with old people.  If you want to stay young....hang out with young people".

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.  You'll have ideas for everyone out here in QVC land who can help us all.

Take care...Smiley Happy

You are sweet; thank you.  I am in pretty good health - husband has Crohns and actually is having lung surgery this Friday.  We just take life day by day.  He's pretty healthy and finally quit smoking.  I can also get a PT job if I really want to.  I really do miss my mom though. 

Super Contributor

I retired at 58 and it was the best decision ever!  No kids..hubby and I relocated to be closer to family.  I adore the freedom having no work schedule to accommodate.  Leaisurely mornings, late evenings if I want, exercise is the middle of the day instead of cramming it in after work, reading, napping, volunteering, hiking, etc.  I love time with hubby..even if it's just binge watching a tv show.

I love retired life!

Esteemed Contributor

I love being retired. Instead of getting up early to go to work, I get up early to go to my aerobic dance class at the YMCA. I go to lunch with friends, sit on my porch and read my beloved mysteries, and plan for my friends’ and families’ visits. I had a great career, a great job, but I don’t miss it at all. Work is not all it’s cracked up to be.

Valued Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I really loved all but one of the jobs I had during my working years so I was not eager to retire.  The company I worked for was disolved and poof...all the jobs were gone, too. I was not sure how I would do without the personal rewards working afforded me.

Well, I can say I am now soooooooo HAPPY!  I love every aspect of retirement.  It took a little while to adjust to the different pace of life, but I can honestly say this is the best phase of my life.  I hope it is for you, too.

So nice of you to say - I do hope so too.  I was a boss for 20 years so it's very hard right now not "being the boss" but then again, I don't have the stress of it.  I'm mentally easing my way out.  I was a secretary (which was all I wanted when I was 18) and I achieved more than I ever dreamed being a manager.  Seasons change though and I'll be glad I don't have to commute and feel beat at the end of the day!

Honored Contributor

Retirement is wonderful .... 

I worked until I was 68 in order to "beef up" my retirement / Social Security / and 401k to the point where my total monthly income would be close to what my take-home pay was.   I wanted to financially "comfortable."   I wanted to stay in my NYC apartment and still afford to do stuff.  (I had a considerable loss in the stock market "crash" in 2008 that I had to recoup.)

I retired on a Thursday and the following Tuesday, my SIL and I took off to spend three weeks touring Italy.  It was the perfect segue  from work to leisure!

There really was no adjustment.  I used to say that the only reason I worked at all was so that I could live indoors and eat regularly, and support my leisure activities.  

Many of my friends retired before I did.  All the rest have retired since I did.   We all say the same thing ..... "how did I ever have time to work" ... we are all fairly active.  

I'm enjoying myself .... I worked almost 50 years ... saved my money and having a great retirement.  I totally recommend it.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think these days people are lucky to be able to retire when they reach their mid-sixties. Many people can not afford to do that because of insufficient retirement funds and health  insurance concerns. I had to go into early retirement at 47 because of disability. I'm 64 now and I would love to be able to still work. I would work until I could physically no longer do it. Going into early retirement for me nearly put me under the bridge. Cost me a fortune in health insurance and when you are under the age of 65 and disabled, there are very few financial breaks. I'm still feeling the financial burden. My medical bills took away much of my retirement savings. I've been living alone, paying for everything on my own for the past 35 years. For me retirement is not easy or a walk in the park.

I hear you.  I have friends that don't have anything saved and yet I have other friends/family that retired by 60.  You know, if I could just work 5 hours a day it would be ok for a few more years.  I'm sorry about your situation - we sure never know what is around the corner.  I have a brother, 4 cousins and 2 brother-in-laws that all passed away by 63.  All cancer.  I have two friends who are disabled with MS.  I am grateful for what I have but at the same time, my parents didn't work past 60.  My husband has health issues (and has all of our 41 years married).  So I do know about hospitals, drs., bills, and not being able to travel much.  All the best to you!