Honored Contributor

Re: Relationships And Compromising

[ Edited ]

It won't always be exactly 50/50 (should be somewhat close) IMO, but a relationship has to give/take (compromise) to survive. I no longer have my bf  because they would not compromise, and took most, of the time.

As for a MM is concerned she knows what she is getting herself into. She would not be marrying Harry if she didn't sign on the dotted line. She not only marries Harry, but the matriarch. I will pass on that  proposal of it ever comes up.

Trusted Contributor

Since there is very little chance of Harry becoming king it is odd that he didn't just relocate to the U.S.  I'm sure at some point one of the more uncouth members of the royal family (such as Princess Michael) will ask Markle point blank in front of many other people, so are you excited and thrilled over becoming a British citizen while denouncing your American citizenship? I can't imagine she would answer with her pretty smile.  

Respected Contributor

I think you will see a lot of changes in the Royal way of life

when the Queen passes ....just my opinion ...I think the

Royal way of life is a little watered down with each new

Monarch ....

Esteemed Contributor

I think she is told before hand what is expected and makes her decision. 

I was reading today on MSN a lot of the rules Royals follow. A few I remember, when the queen finishes her dinner, everyone else has to stop eating too. When Prince George turns 12, he can no longer travel with Harry, 2 heirs can’t travel together. When women have to wear hats to all formals and if the event is indoors at 6p they change to Tiaras. Only married women wear them, shows them who’s available. Also, when talking to the Queen and she transfers her purse to her right arm, conversation is over. There was a lot more very interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

She may not feel like it’s a compromise. It may just be exactly what she wants. That said, I tend to agree with your overall statement for most cases—most of the time. 

This ^^^

Meghan and Harry seem to have much in common when it comes to their life passions of humanitarianism, aide work and charity. Harry has passed on by several wealthy, attractive, aristocratic British women that had “more suitable pedigrees” according to some. Meghan shares his broader, larger life interests outside of just Being Royal. They each are marrying the whole package.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It's HIGHLY unlikely (if not impossible) Harry will ever wear the crown, so his relationship and life with Meghan will be more of a partnership, and they will have a bit more freedom (and choices) than William and Kate will ever have.

I don't think most relationships are ever 50/50 ... sometimes they are 80/20 ... sometimes something else.   

The real questiion is ... are both people getting their needs met in the relationship  

Honored Contributor

A relationship is not about "fair" or who makes what percentage of the compromises.  It is about what two people are willing to put into making it work.  It can be fine for one person to make all the compromises, or half of them or none.

It is critical that both people understand what the situation is going in, and are willing to do what it takes to make the relationship work.  

I believe firmly in equality in status in a relationship, but that doesn't mean who  gives up what.  It means that both are equally respected and part of the decision making process.

I had to make most of the compromises in my marriage, but never felt slighted.  It's just the demands of his job and mine were different, so I had to give up some of the things I wanted to do, take up more of the slack at home sometimes, and go to a lot of events that weren't my cup of tea.  But that is what it took to get us where we wanted to be in life, so I was happy to do it and don't regret a moment of it.  I never felt used, abused or neglected, because I was always consulted and a player in the decision. 

Megan should understand what it takes to be part of the royal family, and be ready to do those things or not marry him.  It wouldn't be for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

Who knows maybe after MM becomes a British citizen her dear mom will join her through chain immigration. That would be wonderful for MM to have her beloved mom there with her.  

Honored Contributor

There is always compromise, and of course it's never always 50/50, but I want to know why Meghan had to give up her elderly dog.

That bothers me.

Regular Contributor

She is hardly a naive innocent being led to slaughter.  She is an intelligent woman who has certainly had enough experience in the world to be capable of making an informed judgment on what she wants for her future.  

Marriage is all about compromise.  It’s never 50/50 - someone always ends up bending a little more.  So she had made some compromises, so what?  So has Harry.  And they will both continue to do so.  It’s called life.