Honored Contributor

Relationships And Compromising

Do you think compromising should be  50/50 in a relationship? I feel one person should not have to always be the one who gives in, so to speak. I feel after a while the one who gives in and doesn't get their way can start to harbor ill feelings towards their partner. Which brings me to the subject of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. I have no doubt they are very much in love, but it seems to me (only my opinion) she is the one doing most of the compromising. She will live in England, become a citizen, left her elderly dog (I'm sure with someone loving), ending her career, spent Christmas with the Royal Family, etc. It's a lot of change to take in. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Relationships And Compromising

No one forced her to. I think you are reading a lot into a little

Honored Contributor

I don't make sweeping generalizations, no offense, truly.

To me, each relationship is on a case by case basis.

I doubt anyone is holding a gun to Miss Markle's head to do all these things!

Esteemed Contributor

She may not feel like it’s a compromise. It may just be exactly what she wants. That said, I tend to agree with your overall statement for most cases—most of the time. 

Respected Contributor

I doubt if most relationships are 50/50.

There will be compromising, flexibilities, sacrificing and always changes. This is the nature of any relationship and the individuals involved.

Honored Contributor

I've witnessed relationships where it seems to be that one is always giving in to the other. The one that I'm thinking about in particular did not end well. That kind of heavy lifting can become overwhelming along with the pent-up bitterness.

I have no clue whatsoever as to the couple that is up for discussion here, and neither does anyone else.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not like Harry has many choices in his life. He is told what to say and do everday. And if he goes "off script" the press has a field day. His picture and every word out of his mouth is all over the papers.

So whoever marries him has to follow the same rules he does.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Do you think compromising should be  50/50 in a relationship? I feel one person should not have to always be the one who gives in, so to speak. I feel after a while the one who gives in and doesn't get their way can start to harbor ill feelings towards their partner. Which brings me to the subject of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. I have no doubt they are very much in love, but it seems to me (only my opinion) she is the one doing most of the compromising. She will live in England, become a citizen, left her elderly dog (I'm sure with someone loving), ending her career, spent Christmas with the Royal Family, etc. It's a lot of change to take in. 

Prince Harry didn't partake in the family hunting event they do every Christmas because MM is an "animal rights activist."

So he has compromised, as well....

Honored Contributor

Whatever I think about relationships and compromising, I think it has nothing to do with Harry and Meghan’s engagement and hopefully subsequent marriage.

Because she was acting when Harry met her, there are all these gloriously a**inine suppositions about Meghan, what kind of a background she has, what total strangers “know” about her personality and her lack of taste, her greed, tacky behavior, etc when in fact they’re making it all up in order to feed their own POV about the “appropriateness” of her marriage (read anything you like into that).

She grew up in a financially quite comfortable household. Her mother has a Masters Degree in Social Work. Meghan went to private schools, not public city schools. Her father has won an Emmy for his technical behind-the-scenes work. She has been raised to be interested in the welfare of others and has been interested in charitable causes since childhood.

Her humanitarian work began before she ever met Harry:

[Wiki]
“Markle was a counsellor for international charity One Young World, speaking at the 2014 annual summit in Dublin on the topics of gender equality and modern day slavery. Also in 2014, she traveled to Afghanistan and Spain as part of the USO Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Holiday Tour.

“In 2016, Markle became a global ambassador for World Vision Canada, traveling to Rwanda for the Clean Water Campaign, the agency's campaign to provide safe, clean drinking water, and she traveled to India to raise awareness of issues concerning women.

She has also worked with the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women as an Advocate.  Markle again attended the One Young World summit in 2016.”

Since she’s become engaged, her upper middle class life, upbringing and values have been “disappeared” and instead now anything and everything is claimed about her in order to “prove” how “unworthy” she is.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde Thanks for your post - and providing the fuller story about Meghan Markle. I’m a big fan of hers because of her outstanding values and character...and commitment to humanitarian causes. The fact that she’s beautiful, an actress, and marrying a royal is not the point. She’s a great role model because of the kind of person she has chosen to become. We need more great role models...particularly for young girls.