Honored Contributor

Re: Reflection: To Return or Not

I rarely return anything.

That is why so many items that I donate are still wrapped in a plastic bag. I can tell that the item is a pass and don't even bother to open. They are usually clothing items and I wonder what I was thinking (or not thinking) when I ordered the item.

Honored Contributor

I am pretty careful about my purchases.  I usually don't impulse shop, and I usually stick with the stores/lines I know (so I know what to expect as far as fit).  I very rarely return anything.

I did return the TSV here a few weeks ago - 2 WWC dresses that were too big.  Tags on, plastic bag intact, I mailed them right back and used the QVC label, it's a great convenience for me. 

Respected Contributor

@ MJ12
You make good point about sticking to known brands. But I can try on various styles of Ex Clark’s shoes and some might be right and others not.
Pants same situation. Sticking to certain brands helps though. I am not willing to spend $10 ship for try on.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva wrote:

@Pearlee : the other bonus to Return Saver is that my returns to QVC and elsewhere are processed and credited in just a couple of days. I live in NJ, so that helps, but it's still much faster than returning bu USPS.

@queendiva   Same time for the return time (two days to get to QVC) for the clothing I send back via UPS.  For the jewelry items (not many) I've sent back via USPS, that's not the case.  

Honored Contributor

depends on what is is.  If it is expensive I will bite the postage bullet and pay to return it.  If it is somthing that costs less than $30, I just donate it to good will and write it off on my taxes as a donation.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I do not keep what I do not love. I like when I can order on line and return to a local B&M store, like the patio umbrella I ordered from WM and found cheaper at Aldi. Delivered today, returning tomorrow.

I also invest $50.00/year in Return Saver dot com. Unlimited FedEx returns. I just print the shipping label at home, slap it on the package and drop it off at my local FedEx pickup point, which is a mile down the road from me. I pass by on nearly a daily basis. I have purchased this service for several years: a great value! Just used it today and generally use the service 2-3 times/month.

At local stores where I shop frequently I generally keep receipts anywhere from a week to a couple of months

I never return even close to $50 worth of return costs for  goods in a year.  Why do you return so much? If I did, I would never shop on line.

Honored Contributor

This is why I am extremely hesitant about buying things on-line.  I absolutely hate spending money on S&H!  Then the thought of possibly having to spend even MORE money to return something really gets me going!  An item might be really reasonably price to begin with, but after you factor all of this into the equation, it's no bargain at all!  Not to mention - it's a real hassle having to package it up and drag it to the post office!

People say it's so much easier to shop on-line rather than going shopping at regular stores.  Well, yes --- if the item works out for you!  

I am still of the mindset that if I can purchase it locally at b&m stores, then I would rather do so.  Instant gratification and no s&h.  

As for returning --- if the item is not really that expensive, then no --- I don't bother to return it because to me it's not worth the effort and expense.  I will donate it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I don't even like returning items pruchased at a store. I rarely do it, unless the item is  expensive. I bought a shirt that is one size too big. It's not worth it to return it (the line etc.). I wear it, anyways,

Respected Contributor

I have a Susan Graver too that didn’t look good with my pants. Kept thinking I would get. Years later gave some. Sun glasses slide off constantly- so frustrating! But I wear to get moneys worth. Shoes rarely wear.
I return to B&M stores but don’t abuse privilege.