Honored Contributor

It's amazing how music can change a mood...

...and transport one to a different time/period instantly.

I was playing some smooth jazz this morning and then went to youtube to do some browsing and came across Carole King's hit 'It's Too Late'.

Boy, I'm stitting here with chills...memories flood back and bring me right back to when I was 12 yrs old. The 1st time I heard it was on the radio in the family car on a road trip - summer vacation.

Such a great singer Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKxmnrRVHo

Honored Contributor

Re: It's amazing how music can change a mood...

It was the summer of 1971 and I just broke up with my high school boyfriend. I was going off to college in a different state and was worried that I would hate it being such an urban girl. What a wonderful time of my life...it brings back memories of meeting new people having lots of adventures and lots of joy. I still have contact with some of my friends from Ohio...

Thanks for the memories @Susan Louise ...

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

...and transport one to a different time/period instantly.

I was playing some smooth jazz this morning and then went to youtube to do some browsing and came across Carole King's hit 'It's Too Late'.

Boy, I'm stitting here with chills...memories flood back and bring me right back to when I was 12 yrs old. The 1st time I heard it was on the radio in the family car on a road trip - summer vacation.

Such a great singer Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKxmnrRVHo

@Susan Louise I love Carole King! Her voice takes me to my happy place!🤗

Esteemed Contributor

I remember going to a Neil Diamond concert so many years ago, and it was so much fun.  I still love his music - “Sweet Caroline” - and so many more.  I have so many CDs that I should be playing.  So many artists I used to love.  Many CDs of classical music, perfect for softly playing while reading.  

I have read you should play music that reflects the mood you want to be in.  Not necessarily your present mood.  Anyone with thoughts on this?

Respected Contributor

When my mom was in a memory care unit in an assisted living facility, they would play music from the 40’s and 50’s to calm the clients.  

Given that phenomenon, I wonder what will happen when others reach that stage....don’t think rap music will be calming though.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

It's almost too much for me to listen to my generation's music. I love it, but it just reminds me that those years are gone for me. I can't really explain it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It's almost too much for me to listen to my generation's music. I love it, but it just reminds me that those years are gone for me. I can't really explain it.

@suzyQ3   I 'get' it...it can be very depressing at times. I'd do anything to be able to go back to the 70's/80's and stay there. I miss the simplier times terribly and the fun I used to have...sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

OK, I'll raise you one - I listened to Glen Campbell yesterday (BTW, I did watch Fat Head all the way and I thought it was great and I eliminated shredded wheat and it has been a very good move for me).  I'm less hungry and feel like my sluggish metabolism (long diagnosed hypothyroidism) has picked up.

Gentle on My Mind is an eternal favorite.  Wichita Lineman is right up there.

Hi @Susan Louise ! 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3   I 'get' it...it can be very depressing at times. I'd do anything to be able to go back to the 70's/80's and stay there. I miss the simplier times terribly and the fun I used to have...sigh.

@Susan Louise, but the weird thing is, my nostalgia doesn't really include wanting to live it over again; if anything, I wish I could have a do-over. It's more of a futile longing for a another chance.

Gawd, what a downer I am. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

"April is the cruelest month . . ."  T.S. Eliot 

We begin (again).  There is no stopping the passage of time.

Cogito ergo sum