Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

you dont necessarily need your social security card. my mother could not find hers. she used a 1099 form from the bank that was attached to last years federal tax returns.

you can also provide a document that has your social security number on it, like a W2 form. a 1099 form (either from the SSA or a non SSA entity), a current pay stub, or a document from SSA demonstrating non-work authorized status.

This is VERY interesting because I was clearly told and shown in writing that (even what you say above )you MUST have the SS card with your current name on it.   

PS  I did have my W2.  It counted toward my ID for residency but I still needed the SS card

I think it depends on who assists you at the time.When we were immigrating it depended on who we talked to for what was required.Some of the things I went through were really tough to pull off and when I presented it all the person that reviewed it didn’t have much interest in portions of it.I had to list everything we were moving across the border...took me two weeks to completely count,itemize and show prices of everything.The border guard was not interested in that at all...but if I hadn’t done it???

Esteemed Contributor

You have to have your original SSC also not the one that says Identification purposes only. I was lucky I had everything my DH didn't have correct SSC so he went to the SS office and was out in 15 minutes and had the proper card in the mail in 5 days. He returned to DMV and now has his card. It is very frustrating while I was there I seen so many declined because of that SSC. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

do you mind me asking what state you are in? i thought that the REAL ID requirements were standard for the entire country?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

DMV told me that I needed my birth certificate and marriage certificate for my current marriage.  Previous marriage and divorce certificates are not needed since anything between birth and current marriage could be tracked.  They may have said SS card too.  I had to order replacement certificates because mine were lost in our house fire a few years ago.  Replacement cost of birth & marriage certificates - $15 each.  After I received the documents I went to DMV.  It was packed.  Luckily the line for "Real ID" was short and  I was in and out in 15 or 20 minutes.  Now I am waiting for my official Real ID to arrive in the mail.  Should have it within 30 days.  In the meantime I have a paper license.  Cost of Real ID - $8.  I am not happy about the picture that will be on my license.  It looks like a mug shot.

Honored Contributor

It 's fast and easy and problem free if you go online first and checkout what documents you need and have them with you.  

Respected Contributor

I have an appointment to get my Real ID next Tuesday.  My license expires this month, so as long as I have to go, I will get the enhanced license.

I went on line and pulled together all the info my state requires. I let me passport expire, so I will bring in my birth certificate. I have my original SS card and two or three pieces of mail (utility bills etc)  to prove residency.

I did an eye exam at the optometrist's office, so I just show that report as well, so I don't have to do the vision test.

Hoping for a painless experience!

Honored Contributor

In Alabama the requirements are spelled out on the internet in a very easy to understand format.   I no longer rely on "what I was told"

I have a first  name with many variations, nicknames, etc.

Almost every document I own has a slightly different variation.   Therefore, I won't even attempt it.   I have a passport, which is actually easier to obtain & renew plus I never fly.

Sorry you couldn't get it.  You are not alone

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I have an appointment to get my Real ID next Tuesday.  My license expires this month, so as long as I have to go, I will get the enhanced license.

I went on line and pulled together all the info my state requires. I let me passport expire, so I will bring in my birth certificate. I have my original SS card and two or three pieces of mail (utility bills etc)  to prove residency.

I did an eye exam at the optometrist's office, so I just show that report as well, so I don't have to do the vision test.

@Ms tyrion2 

Wow, that's cool!  We can't do that.  We have to take the vision test at the  MVD office.

Esteemed Contributor

Every single person I know who tried to get the REAL ID with their drivers license renewals were denied.  Pretty obvious that it's a scheme to get more money and waste more of our time for this ID.

I remember right after 911, the president of Oracle wanted to issue ID cards to every American at no charge.  He was certain he could accomplish this in short order and W refused.  He said it wasn't necessary.  Now it going to become necessary for a price!

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 

Wow, that's cool!  We can't do that.  We have to take the vision test at the  MVD office.

Yes, I'm glad we can do that. The vision machines at MVD are filthy and my eye doc said they are not well calibrated. There is a form on line you can print out to have your doc complete and then take with you to MVD.