Honored Contributor

Re: Real ID Deadline Postponed

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@NickNack  OK thanks.  Maybe I misunderstood.  So, due to my age I had to hurry up and get some kind (any kind) of pay stub.

So, I took all my papers (stuff) and got a new drivers license and figured I would get the star one another day.  So when I got to the counter (to get the regular one) she pulled out my papers again and said that I just needed a pay stub.

Most paychecks are direct deposits I think, not like I know, but I thought so.

@Annabellethecat66   Do a search for your state to see what the requirements are.  I wouldn't have had a pay stub either, but there are lots of choices.  There were three categories of things you needed for Tennessee.  There are about six different things to choose from in each category.  I had my driver's license, social security card and I don't remember what else.  

Requirements are slightly different for each state, but I do remember there were date requirements.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness!  N.J. has not started yet.  At least not in So. Joisey.  I have not met anyone to date that has one.

My brother lives in Cape May county.  He told me their DMV is a beta facility for the new IDs.  He was advised, the 7 point system will still be enforced. icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  I live in NJ (Middlesex County)  and have not gone for my Real ID yet either.  I had planned on doing it some time in the spring, but then the virus crisis hit.  I know a few people who went for it when it was first announced, and they said, prior to the DMV giving appointment times, the lines were just awful and hours were spent there. 

It's good to know a one year extension has been approved.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

When we received ours in WI, they asked for my current driver's license, my Social Security card, and a copy of my birth certificate with a raised seal. 

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  ...... They didn't ask for a certified copy of your marriage certificate?

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I live in Camden Co.  The DMV in that county, the lines are outside the door, State troopers on guard inside & out to stop the fights.  Usually, the fights get started because the folks don't have enough points or did not bring the right docs.  The counters now have bullet proof windows.

Also, most folks know to bring their breakfast, lunch & sometimes dinner because of the long wait time.  And the place have ONLY 1 bathroom which is unisex.

There is even a person outside selling water!   I don't know why the food trucks are not parked in the parking lot daily.  They would make a killing!!! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  ...... They didn't ask for a certified copy of your marriage certificate?

No, because I kept my maiden name when we married.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

In N.J. not only that, if divorced, you need those papers too.  And it better have a raised seal too.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@NickNack  OK thanks.  Maybe I misunderstood.  So, due to my age I had to hurry up and get some kind (any kind) of pay stub.

So, I took all my papers (stuff) and got a new drivers license and figured I would get the star one another day.  So when I got to the counter (to get the regular one) she pulled out my papers again and said that I just needed a pay stub.

Most paychecks are direct deposits I think, not like I know, but I thought so.

@Annabellethecat66   Do a search for your state to see what the requirements are.  I wouldn't have had a pay stub either, but there are lots of choices.  There were three categories of things you needed for Tennessee.  There are about six different things to choose from in each category.  I had my driver's license, social security card and I don't remember what else.  

Requirements are slightly different for each state, but I do remember there were date requirements.

@Annabellethecat66 @NickNack  DH and I got ours in Virginia in January. I printed the requirements because I work better from hard copy, but I threw them away once we got our permanent Real ID's or I could check them to find secondary requirements for you.

Go to the Virginia DMV website and search under Real ID. There are primary requirements, such as a paystub, but there are also secondary requirements in case you don't have the primary documentation. All told, there are about 4 pages of primary and secondary requirements, so there are lots of documentation possibilities. We're both Federal retirees, so we used our 2018 W-2 forms to document our SSN's instead of a paystub. I used my voter registration card for proof of address. There are time limits for some of the types of proof, like utility bills, so you need to make sure your documents comply with the "timeliness" requirements.

When you finally decide to get it, check the wait times on the DMV website for the location you'll use, then be prepared to wait at least twice as long. We went in January as a New Year's resolution. We kept saying we were going to get it up to that point, but never got around to it. So did about 300 other people that afternoon. 😀 Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Good!  Thanks for posting this since I had not heard before! Smiley Happy