Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have my settings to show the max number of posts per page, so I rarely encounter ten-page-long threads (the exceptions are usually ongoing type threads, which I rarely visit).

I do try to read a thread before commenting. If I haven't, I usually make that clear.

@suzyQ3 

Just stating the obvious but regardless of how many posts you have per page you still have the same number of posts to get through. A 100 comment 10 page thread is really no different than a 100 comment 2 page thread. The only extra thing to do is to click to the next page. Maybe that's the step you're trying to avoid?  Personally, I've always preferred fewer posts per page. Maybe I'll go wild in the new year and try it your way, lol. 

Your math is of course corrent, @SusieQ_2. But magically, I guess, it's seems like less - hey, I was an English majored who wasn't much of a math scholar.

IDK, but I just like the max per page.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I find it impolite to respond without reading all other responses first.

It says their post is important and worth reading while the posts of others are not worthwhile.

If a thread is 10+ pages long, I'm not going to read every single post in that thread.

I'll read the first page of two, and maybe the last page or two.

And if I say something that has already been stated, and someone doesn't like that?

Oh, well.

I really don't give a flying fig.

That's their issue, not mine.

@Anonymous032819   I agree and the majority of posts are repeats of previous posts.

@occasionalrain  I am not following your logic.  What I find impolite is the constant "I already started a thread about (insert topic)" or "There is already a thread over in (name the forum) or "I already said that".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I also find it extremely rude to say a poster should be banned.

The decision to ban a poster belongs to the mods, not another poster.

Nobody here posts like a guardian of the standards.

Ever.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Ever.

@Cakers3  Are you talking about me ?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Ever.

@Cakers3  Are you talking about me ?

@proudlyfromNJ   ???? 

Esteemed Contributor

"What I find impolite is the constant "I already started a thread about (insert topic)" or "There is already a thread over in (name the forum) or "I already said that"." @Cakers3 

I agree that saying "I already said that" does sound impolite but I appreciate when I'm reading a thread, especially if it's something that really interests me, and someone points out there's another thread about the same topic in another forum. I find that a lot of times there's good information in both threads and if it wasn't pointed out I might miss it. 

Tone is often hard to understand through a written message and saying "I started a thread about this in xyz forum" can sound almost like a reprimand even if it's just to inform. 

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Kachina 624 - And I would know that how?  I went by what I read on the other thread, which was not, as I said, an answer to the OP's question.  Judgemental?  I don't think so, under the circumstances.

@Tessa Mendoza. Because the response was directed to a specific individual, not the general population.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"What I find impolite is the constant "I already started a thread about (insert topic)" or "There is already a thread over in (name the forum) or "I already said that"." @Cakers3 

I agree that saying "I already said that" does sound impolite but I appreciate when I'm reading a thread, especially if it's something that really interests me, and someone points out there's another thread about the same topic in another forum. I find that a lot of times there's good information in both threads and if it wasn't pointed out I might miss it. 

Tone is often hard to understand through a written message and saying "I started a thread about this in xyz forum" can sound almost like a reprimand even if it's just to inform. 

@SusieQ_2   I really do not believe that there will be more information on one thread over another.  The threads around here are not deep discussion topics.

When a poster is tagged to be told "I already started a thread" you can be sure is it a reprimand because it is often followed by the reprimand of how it is not "netiquette" to do so.  It is a personal tag, not generic.

It isn't about seeing additonal info because the person reprimanding would embelish her thread.

TV/Movie Forum-there are at least 4 threads about the series "Crown". 

It's hardly earth-shattering.  LOL

Let people post what they want; a cheerful and friendly attitude makes this place much more enjoyable than the usual suspects telling everyone else how their threads/posts matter more because they were first.

It's just not that important.

Esteemed Contributor

For me the rudest post is the "Who Cares?"  It's very, very dismissive. The topic obviously means something to the OP and likely to others.  If it bores you, why take the time for the reprimand?

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager  Yeah, and along those same lines are the posts responding with,  "don't you have more important things to worry about?"   trivializing what the OP posted. 

Uh, this is a message board chat forum and many things are discussed. If you don't find it interesting or important why not just pass it by?