Honored Contributor

😷 Mummers Parade is cancelled 😢

As most of you know by now, city officials announced in July 2020 that the Philadelphia Mummers Parade would not be held in Philadelphia on New Years Day due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mayor Jim Kenney announced that all large public events through February 28, 2021 would be canceled due to the public health crisis.

The 120-year-old Mummers Parade has only been cancelled twice (1919 and 1934). The first cancellation happened in 1919 as a result of the aftermath of World War I and the second cancellation occurred in 1934 due to the effects of the Great Depression and a lack of prize money.

Full article can be found on the Mummers website.

woodland-string-band.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 😷 Mummers Parade is cancelled 😢

Hopefully the world will be a less infectious place by this time next year.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac  I look forward to seeing it next year.  New Year's Day is the one day of the year that everything stops for me as I watch the Mummers all day until the last show ends about 10 p.m.  I print out the rating sheets and compare them to the judges' results.  The day will not be the same this year.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

ATROCIOUS.

Professional sports can have physical CONTACT with each other CONSTANTLY, but the Mummers can't strut - I call BS on CreepsterKenney's decision.

It should've gone on and been televised. Maybe that's too hard, but I'dve enjoyed it over nothing at all.

Honored Contributor

Certain Mummer factions have threatened to stage an unsanctioned parade in South Philadelphia.  I understand their disappointment but hopefully they'll recognize that the Mayor's edict is for the greater good.

Honored Contributor

We had two mega churches in Albuquerque pack in congregations for Christmas Eve services despite knowing they were allowed only 25% of capacity.  Each got slammed with a $5,000 fine by the state.  They said they should be exempt because they do good for the poor.  I guess that entitles them to expose people to death?  You can't fix stupid.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We had two mega churches in Albuquerque pack in congregations for Christmas Eve services despite knowing they were allowed only 25% of capacity.  Each got slammed with a $5,000 fine by the state.  They said they should be exempt because they do good for the poor.  I guess that entitles them to expose people to death?  You can't fix stupid.

@Kachina624  Besides Christian churches right to have services, we have another religious group who have huge religious gatherings. Gov. put a limit on them and SCOTUS overruled. They are exempt because of first amendment. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ.  Apparently not here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Yeah, it was just in New York.

Honored Contributor

Back to the topic:

We attended a wedding on New Years Eve in Philly long ago.  What a great time!  The next day was the first time we had ever seen the Mummers Parade and it was just one of the best times we ever had.

I honestly think it beats out many other parades we see on TV during the holidays.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh