Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I always read the original post. I'll admit, that sometimes, a responding person can misinterpret the post and their answer to that original post might not make sense or be spot on, but that is often because the original post is lacking in detail or unclear. 

My frustration is when people tell me to read the entire thread. I feel no need to do that a lot of the time. Especially if there are 10 or more pages of responses, here, I don't really care where the discussion has gone. I will reply to the original question, or comment on the original post's content. 

I feel if there is a huge change, additional explanation, or modification of the original post, the original poster should edit that original post to contain the necessary information. I see it done that way quite often in some of the facebook groups I'm in.

@Mominohio , my issue is when it is obvious that the responder skimmed the post and then was off to the races spewing misinformation, and often creating a situation that can lead to arguments having nothing to do with the original point. If you as the responder misunderstand ,that is one thing, but if you mislead others, well 😡

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Before I start my rant let me say I find this all over the internet, not just here. I ran into this 3 times this morning, and my question is if it is important enough to answer a post, why not actually read the post you are commenting on. Seriously, how can you answer correctly or logically if you don't understand what the heck you're responding to. Worse, it can start a completely unnecessary war of words.  Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Disagree all you want, but know what you are disagreeing with. That is all. 

@QVCkitty1 @You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you for speaking up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1  I agree with your comments 100% and my pet peeve is those that derail threads with snarky and unnecessary personal criticism of the poster or their opinion.  Stick to the topic and even if you disagree with the poster be respectful and don't get personal.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 And a pet peeve of mine is when someone takes the subject of the original post and goes off on a long, rambling tangent about something in their life that has very little, if anything, to do with the original subject.

I see this quite often by a couple of posters. I read the first few words and see where it's going and move on.

Valued Contributor

I find it annoying when a respondent comments on a question without answering it.

For example, the other day the OP said that hair salons in her area were closed, but wondered if anyone had had a "modern perm" lately and if they were happy with how their hair turned out.  A poster replied that hair salons in her area were open.  So??

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Agree.  Also, if there is a response to the original question why do several more people keep responding with the same answer.  If one person answered a specific question, why would other responses with the exact same information be given?????

@rms1954  I always wondered the same thing. Then after looking at the time, (between each Post) some of the responses were done within a few seconds or a minute apart. It takes some people longer to type their responses and by the time they hit "Post"  a few Posters have already said the same thing.

Honored Contributor

I find it impolite to respond without reading all other responses first.

It says their post is important and worth reading while the posts of others are not worthwhile.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I find it annoying when a respondent comments on a question without answering it.

For example, the other day the OP said that hair salons in her area were closed, but wondered if anyone had had a "modern perm" lately and if they were happy with how their hair turned out.  A poster replied that hair salons in her area were open.  So??

@Tessa Mendoza.  That responder was me, and both I and the person who said salons in her state were closed know that we live in the same state and are under the same regulations.  Dont be too fast to judge.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I find it impolite to respond without reading all other responses first.

It says their post is important and worth reading while the posts of others are not worthwhile.

@occasionalrain  Sometimes I do. However I don't think it's necessary at all. The op posts his or her thoughts. May just be thoughts or it may be a question. What other posters say is their opinion and not really pertinent to me. So, I don't agree with you. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain 

Well said !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill