Honored Contributor

Before I start my rant let me say I find this all over the internet, not just here. I ran into this 3 times this morning, and my question is if it is important enough to answer a post, why not actually read the post you are commenting on. Seriously, how can you answer correctly or logically if you don't understand what the heck you're responding to. Worse, it can start a completely unnecessary war of words.  Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Disagree all you want, but know what you are disagreeing with. That is all. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Sing it, sistah! I often read responses, mainly here, and it's obvious the person responding has not read the original post entirely. I've done that in the past so try to be much more careful.

And when a responder doesn't read the original post, their responses are just a waste of space and usually make no sense.

Honored Contributor

I always think the responder is somewhat illiterate.

I used to think that English was their second language but, it seems, those for whom English is their second language have better grammar than some whose English is their first language.

Honored Contributor

I do occasionally notice people responding only to the thread title and ignoring the original post's content.

At the same time, sometimes people post only half the story in the original post. Or almost no information or context at all. And then they wait to share the rest until after others have already posted responses that don't apply to the entire issue. So sometimes it's not the responder's fault they went in a haywire direction. They didn't have all the information they needed.

It depends on the completeness and clarity of the original poster, as well as the attitude, biases, and care in reading of the responder. (Not accusing anyone here of these forum nonos!)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I agree, you should of course read a post in its entirety before you respond.  Make sure you understand what you are responding to or you will not help or make sense.  It reminds me of when one is talking and someone interrupts with comments before the person is done speaking.  That happens to me sometimes and it is very rude.  I listen before I respond.

Honored Contributor

Agree.  Also, if there is a response to the original question why do several more people keep responding with the same answer.  If one person answered a specific question, why would other responses with the exact same information be given?????

Esteemed Contributor

I think some people just want to write what they want to write and don't care about the OP.  Just my opinion.

PS:  I read your post fully and understand it.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Agree.  Also, if there is a response to the original question why do several more people keep responding with the same answer.  If one person answered a specific question, why would other responses with the exact same information be given?????

@rms1954  I usually read the op first and just respond to that. I don't always read the whole thread. I don't feel that is necessary. Also, I read the forums by post, not by forum topics so that makes a difference. 

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I think some people just want to write what they want to write and don't care about the OP.  Just my opinion.

PS:  I read your post fully and understand it.  

@NYCLatinaMe , I understand what you are saying , and 

I think you are correct. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I always read the original post. I'll admit, that sometimes, a responding person can misinterpret the post and their answer to that original post might not make sense or be spot on, but that is often because the original post is lacking in detail or unclear. 

My frustration is when people tell me to read the entire thread. I feel no need to do that a lot of the time. Especially if there are 10 or more pages of responses, here, I don't really care where the discussion has gone. I will reply to the original question, or comment on the original post's content. 

I feel if there is a huge change, additional explanation, or modification of the original post, the original poster should edit that original post to contain the necessary information. I see it done that way quite often in some of the facebook groups I'm in.